• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dual trannies in Toys

JThompson

I have been cruising through some boards, namely Pir*te, looking at what people have done with their rigs. I noticed a growing (?) number of folks putting two transmissions together, creating an unbelievable gear selection. I guess this was all in lieu of dual t-cases/lower diff gears. Most the rigs I saw had no mods to their t-case (cheap) or their diffs (cheap!).

What do you think? Sounds interesting to me.

I saw Auto/Manual combos, as well as manual/manual... I am not at all a fan of autos, but putting a manual tranny behind an auto, creating the soft, controlled effect of an auto along with the other style of control along with it in the way of a manual.

???

hmmm... that manual behind an auto idea is interesting. i always thought the dual trannies were kinda hokey. never thought of auto/manual. hmm. i would imagine that the torque converter would make that interesting as well. hmmm. dunno. could be cool though, good topic. looking forward to what people have to say.:awesomework:

That would be interesting putting the manual behind an auto. So would you just have to let off the gas or put it in neutral (auto) to shift the manual tranny? It would be cool since my stupid transfercase on my auto is leaking. I have enough wheelbase and floorspace on my 87 Xtracab for it.

put both in reverse to go foward:redneck: seen this along time ago and told my buds and they all laughed at me. I thought this was very econimic and easy and killed front shaft problems. i played with some parts along time ago and if i remember right it can be done with all toy splines and parts. giving a good builder or crafty person the chance to get crawler gears CHEAP. jeep guys i know laughed really hard when i told them about this combo, but i think they were jealous they couldnt mod thier jeep this cheaply or have the lenght to do it. plus when making the mounting brackets you can clock the case any way you want it.

put both in reverse to go foward:redneck: seen this along time ago and told my buds and they all laughed at me. I thought this was very econimic and easy and killed front shaft problems. i played with some parts along time ago and if i remember right it can be done with all toy splines and parts. giving a good builder or crafty person the chance to get crawler gears CHEAP. jeep guys i know laughed really hard when i told them about this combo, but i think they were jealous they couldnt mod thier jeep this cheaply or have the lenght to do it. plus when making the mounting brackets you can clock the case any way you want it.

Im curious to see what that setup looks like.

the only problem i thought of was manual tranny tend not to be as strong in high gears (3rd 4th 5th) and when you dont want to crawl one box has to be in a high gear. (4th is 1 to 1) so direct drive might be weak with one box in high and one box in low. any other thoughts on this?? anyone here done this?? in fourwheeler mag there used to be a s10 muddragger that ran a turbo350 and a 465 together, and ive seen the front 44tsls in the air and it seemed to work.

Seems like 1:1 in a manual trans would be the strongest gear in the box since in most transmissions the input shaft is locked directly to the mainshaft. But I could be incorrect.

Seems like 1:1 in a manual trans would be the strongest gear in the box since in most transmissions the input shaft is locked directly to the mainshaft. But I could be incorrect.

Correct, 5th and 1st have the most load on the inputshaft bearing. 4th gear in by far the strongest gear in a toy 5 spd.
:redneck:

All you would have to do is "machine" or grind some of the spline on the second tranny box because they are taller and cut some of the spline off to make them go together, then make an adapter and might as well clock the rear tranny and t-case... It seems pretty easy but we all know how that goes... :mad:

Well, accaully, i would call it easy. I ran them, but overlooked it once that it was in fifth gear while trying to drift on the pavement. Well, then i 'had' too shorten the wheelbase, so it had to go.. It cost just over 6 bucks, and had a real nice flat belly. having 5 reverse gears can be FUN

I am still waiting for more replies. But I will say that I notice a good number of people on pirate doing this. I still like the dual-case thing, but was interested by this practice. Lots of gear choices with this one!

:corn:

I am still waiting for more replies. But I will say that I notice a good number of people on pirate doing this. I still like the dual-case thing, but was interested by this practice. Lots of gear choices with this one!

:corn:

I was telling my dad about this, and of course he pipes in "they've been doing that for year!!!" :redneck: typical... but ya, he said it'd be basically like driving a dump truck.

so nowif you do have two trannies hooked up together and a t-case in 4 low, what is the lowest "STOCK" crawl ratio that you would have, given a R&P of 4.10