• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dui checkpoints in Evarts, KY, common thing?

boltnutguy

State and City had DUI checkpoint set up Fri night right by the bridge/trail head. Is that normal for Harlan. It was my first time there.

I made it through fine. But the empty cans in the passenger floor board from earlier in the day made for some tense moments. And "some" of them were trail trash I picked up.

Btw, loved the place and loved the town. Cops were very nice, checked us out, blew in the straw, and sent us on our way, just curious if this is a very common thing and will make sure to be a model citizen if so.

Re:

You had to blow? Randomly or did you get pulled? Been there several times and never checked other than the ole constable in the Vic by the gate, he checks your pass and waves you on.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

I've heard od this a bunch especially big weekends. But I stay on the Putney side so it's not a issue if I had a couple beers.

That stresses me out! We have a group going next weekend staying in a cabin on the everts side. Was the check point right by the trail head?

We got waved thru a check point but it was in the town of Harlan. Like said before, we've only seen the constable. Wonder if they are checking due to the accident few weeks back? Heard a guy crashed bad on (or near) the bounty hill they made.

never seen this, always see constable and he don't give 2 shits, just checks that you bought a pass.

Last time we were there on a big weekend they had a checkpoint set up right before you cross the railroad tracks headed off the trailhead. Then the next night it was down by the bridge across from the dairy hut.

boltnutguy said:
State and City had DUI checkpoint set up Fri night right by the bridge/trail head. Is that normal for Harlan.
So you're talking down by the tracks/bridge "in" town, by Dairy Hut? That could've not been necessarily aimed at the off roaders. :dunno: Like others, I've been stopped by the Constable at the trailhead by check in station. He's pretty cool old dude. Just shoot the breeze, show him your pass and don't be stupid....and this was with several beers in me. :drinkers:
May have my passenger drive me off mountain at Fall Crawl just to be safe though. No sense in causing issues. Just doing their job. Love Black Mountain! :driving:

Don't drink and drive and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. From what I saw of Harlan, eminent death could ensue from one slip up on those mountains. Why would anyone have enough alcohol in their system to blow heavy? Then, to drive on public roads back to camp? Drive sober or get pulled over. That's what my TV and radio tells me.

If like to go to Harlan and have a good time, went once several years ago and was the worst riding trip I've been on to date! Went the wrong time of the year snowing freezing and mud everywhere! Tent camped in a gravel parking lot at one of the trail enterences I went through 58 beers in two days trying to have a good time I wasn't doing good at walking no way would I have drove! Haha

Just to be clear. Wasn't harassed. Just a license check/dui check at the bridge downtown on the west side of bridge. Had several beers earlier in the day, empties in passenger floor. Left corner cafe headed to cabin, went thru check and asked if I had anything to drink. Duhhh, floor full of empties. Wasn't going to lie, said yes earlier in the day in the park. "Please pull over here and take breathalyzer " Passed. Cops were cool, very nice, sent us on our way. Just wondered if this was a regular ocurance or just a fluke my first time there.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Don't drink and drive and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. From what I saw of Harlan, eminent death could ensue from one slip up on those mountains. Why would anyone have enough alcohol in their system to blow heavy? Then, to drive on public roads back to camp? Drive sober or get pulled over. That's what my TV and radio tells me.

I didn't say I was drunk. I asked if this was the norm in Evarts. I said I had a few beers on the Mountain, picked up some trash, and went thru a check with a bunch of empties in my jeep. I blew in their straw and passed with flying colors. Just about every beer I've had in the last few years I bought from you. Sorry if I touched a nerve.

boltnutguy said:
I didn't say I was drunk. I asked if this was the norm in Evarts. I said I had a few beers on the Mountain, picked up some trash, and went thru a check with a bunch of empties in my jeep. I blew in their straw and passed with flying colors. Just about every beer I've had in the last few years I bought from you. Sorry if I touched a nerve.
He's an Ass I wouldn't buy anymore from him! :stir: hahaha

boltnutguy said:

Kel might have been drinking off his keg-orator when he posted this lol Love ya Kel

Let me clarify. Was on the Mountain from morning till dark. Had a few, picked up a few empties around the trail while one of our party was stuck/broke. Went to dinner, headed back to cabins on hill on west end of Evarts on main road thru town. Licence check just across bridge by the road that leads to the trails. He asked if I had anything to drink. I was honest (empties/trash in passenger floor). I said I had a few beers on the Mountain earlier in the day. Pulled me out of line, blew in his tester, sent me on my way. Very nice, professional, shook my hand and said thanks for being honest, held traffic for me to leave.

boltnutguy said:
Let me clarify. Was on the Mountain from morning till dark. Had a few, picked up a few empties around the trail while one of our party was stuck/broke. Went to dinner, headed back to cabins on hill on west end of Evarts on main road thru town. Licence check just across bridge by the road that leads to the trails. He asked if I had anything to drink. I was honest (empties/trash in passenger floor). I said I had a few beers on the Mountain earlier in the day. Pulled me out of line, blew in his tester, sent me on my way. Very nice, professional, shook my hand and said thanks for being honest, held traffic for me to leave.

Sounds like they were not targeting the off-road peeps. More or less just a random check point. Good for you for being honest and stand up. :****: