• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duplicating parts

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So for you engineer types..

What does it take to duplicate parts? And by this I am refering to simple flat parts.

Can you easily take the part and insert the info from the part in autocad--then have somebody either laser/waterject cut them?

I something I made--and a few folks liked it. I don't know how cost effective this route is for something that not alot will be made.. And BTW this will be made from 1/8" alum..

some parts we can scan in to cut out on the table, other parts it's easier/faster for me to recreate in autocad if I have the part or dimensions of it.

So for you engineer types..

What does it take to duplicate parts? And by this I am refering to simple flat parts.

Can you easily take the part and insert the info from the part in autocad--then have somebody either laser/waterject cut them?

I something I made--and a few folks liked it. I don't know how cost effective this route is for something that not alot will be made.. And BTW this will be made from 1/8" alum..

I'll send ya a PM

some parts we can scan in to cut out on the table, other parts it's easier/faster for me to recreate in autocad if I have the part or dimensions of it.

Thanks pat. These are pretty tiny--with 3mm holes so it would have to be pretty precise work...

Thanks pat. These are pretty tiny--with 3mm holes so it would have to be pretty precise work...

In that case, it's easier to recreate from scratch just using measurements. Mechanical parts are cake in CAD.

R/C chassis?

the outside shape of it would be easy to cut out of 1/8" alum on the plas table, but as far as holes you're best off just having a drill jig, and those are easy holes to drill.

If it is 1/8" flat aluminum, take that part to any company that does waterjet cutting or lazer cutting. They all have a full time programmer that can copy the shape, make a print with dimensions and produce some duplicate parts.

Specialty Metals in Kent has Plazma and I think Lazer and water jet. Go talk to them, they'll give you and idea what your up against.

A simple pencil and ruler drawing with dimensions and radius sizes should be enough. They will need to write a program for their machine anyways. There are draftsman on staff that write those programs for a living: they'll knock out a program so fast it's a non issue.

Hey Mike Devlin knows a shop down in OR that does that kind of stuff for VERY reasonable prices. Talk to him on Sunday.

T.

Latest posts