• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duramax 0% for 72, opinions?

RusM

So my old mans Thinking about jumping on the duramax bandwagon now thy they're offering 0% for 72months financing. What do the guys that own them have to say? Any issues common to the newer trucks? Anything that should be upgraded right away? Reliability? People seem to like them from my quick search on here. :corn:

I have an '08 with 144k miles -- planning on deleting the DPF **** (no emissions here!) .. it tows great!

Also had an '07 LBZ, same power and got much better gas mileage than the LMM (07.5-2010).

I have an LBZ, it's a great truck. Should be the same as the new ones mechanically except it doesn't have the emissions stuff.

0% equates to approximately 8-10k off (60k truck its about 10k)... if you can get the dealer to add anything else, it makes the payment for a new truck not so bad.

Are they still rocking the independent front suspension on the 4x4s? Thats always been a weak point of the duramax truck. Ive never heard a complaint about the engine/trans combo, but the fit/finish and front end have always been a sore spot for the people I know that have owned them.

They ride and drive like a car, but if your gonna put any stress on the independent front axle, your gonna want to beef it up a little. I think they sell a kit to do it tho, and I know of several people that have done a solid axle swap.

yepp, super stear tie rods
they still have gov bombs in the rear, but the dodge torsen is a drop in replacement and huge improvement.

So my old man never pulled the trigger and bought a truck, typical. :rolleyes:
But I am pretty much set on getting a truck and am interested in the Duramax/Allison combo. So from what I can tell on the interwebs the 06-07 were the 'best' years to buy used? No emissions, that aren't easily bypassed yet still have the more modern engine architecture and are not prone to injector/headgasket/overheating like the older trucks. Anything I'm missing? These trucks must be good, because there are not a whole lot of them for sale even though GM made a metric **** ton of them! Anyone have a line on a good one for cheap? :corn: Anyone want to trade cars for a week so I make sure I like one before dropping $20K? :cheer:

06- early 07 (LBZ) is well regarded as the best years, although I have an 08 and really like my LMM. Unlike the other manufacturers, GM didn't make any changes between LBZ and the LMM EXCEPT for the DPF stuff. Its easy to delete if you live in a place that doesn't require emissions.

So in summary:
If you do have emissions requirements, get a 06-07 (look for engine code LBZ)
If you DON'T have emissions requirements, get a 06-09 (LBZ or LMM) and if you have an LMM delete the DPF.

The diesel emissions test in WA, at least the last time I went thru, was just a "snap test". You snap the throttle to full, and if any smoke comes out over 40% opacity, you fail. 40% is very smoky!

Dumping the DPF, cat converter, urea injection, etc etc should have zero effect on the snap test. Its a hot chip or mechanical problems that cause smoke during a snap test.

My last run thru emissions, there was no visual inspection, and no computer hookup either.

06- early 07 (LBZ) is well regarded as the best years, although I have an 08 and really like my LMM. Unlike the other manufacturers, GM didn't make any changes between LBZ and the LMM EXCEPT for the DPF stuff. Its easy to delete if you live in a place that doesn't require emissions.

Are you sure :D

ha apparently not.. also the injectors are slightly different

LBZ has a 7 hole design And the LMM has a 6 hole design.............

But the block is the same.. I also saw that the cooling is a bit more in the LMM to make up for the EGR. mr. duramax crash would know more.

For most guys though, once they get rid of the emissions stuff, the LMM handles pretty much like a LBZ. most of the LBZ aftermarket stuff bolts right into a LMM.

2012 new off the lot in February. So far so good. Granted, I sit in bumper to bumper traffic every day but the 2 times I've towed have been great. 70-75+ mph. Loves the higher speeds.

IMG_0109.jpg

The Dmax is quite popular w/ my Canadian friends as well. Seems like they're the dominant tow rig

P1010775.jpg

Terry