• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duramax fuel pressure leak down issues

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
So my 03 durtyturd has fuel pressure leak down issues. Basically I don't DD the truck any more and when I go to start it, it will run for a few seconds and then shut off. If you pump the manual pump at the fuel filter it starts and runs just fine. I sourced the loss of pressure to the fuel filter head. Easy day I think, until I find the dealer wants damn near $700 for this part.

Anyone have expierence with the Merchant Auto rebuild kits for these? I was thinking to do that or do the AirDog lift pump / filter upgrade and keep it pressurized all the time.

$20 for the rebuild kit. Is it actually worth it? After looking inside this fuel filter head, there isn't much to it. Is it that simple to just replace all the O rings and call it a day?

Let me check my stash tommorow Karl--I might have an extra one you can use to rebuild (can't remember if I tossed the last one or not).

I have had like 4 of them go so far. Only way to tell is bypass the fuel filter with clear hose and let it sit and check for air bubbles. But ya a common problem is fuel leak down.

Another fix is a fass/bulldog unit.

we have noticed at work that napa/wix filters seem to have that issue alot. the oring grove is slightly off compared to oem ones.

ive done the rebuild on one, not bad. worst part was the one i did, the plunger was jammed...

Just rebuild it...Yes, simple to do... I almost sold one to a customer, and it was only ~400 IIRC back then...:redneck:
$30 rebuild kit, and a GOOD filter... fixed the issue you are experiencing...:awesomework:

What's a good filter?

I only use WIX filters from oil, to trans, to fuel, etc.

I've just recently heard that the wix fuel filters for a duramax are what causes injector issues?

Maybe some shenanigans on Dieselplace dot com.

Since you did the injectors, and I did the heads, nary a problem with the injectors. :awesomework:

First gen injectors seem to be more tolerable to so so fuel--the second gens (like tom toms) are more suseptable to having internal issues with the injectors with so so fuel (bleed off within the injector)..

I've cut Wix and Baldwins (oil and fuel), as well as a few others apart just recently to compare internals, and yes they are waaaay different internally...Far better quality/more media, and the anti-drainback valves are much better 'looking' as far as they go...
Even cut a Fram Tough Gard in the mix of oil filters :redneck:---What a JOKE :haha:...literally 1/2 the media pleating compared to a Baldwin...
Not saying wix is a BAD filter...just that there has been issues with certain applications using wix...Just as you mention issues with Baldwin re Deere inj pumps....Funny thing Though, Local Deere dealer here stocks Baldwin, and says not to use Wix on their applications...

Last edited:
Funny thing Though, Local Deere dealer here stocks Baldwin, and says not to use Wix on their applications...

Weird. I check out the stock of filters at a few big contractors in the area at the time and discovered the Napa gold/Wix fuel filters were just rebranded Stanadyns. Exact same as the Deere OEM, same makers mark and part # on the top just different paint. This is on all the keyway fuel manager styles.