• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duramax head gaskets....RESOLVED

Re: Duramax head gaskets???

rpf500 said:
Thanks for the info Tyler and Nate. There are no particles in the tank that I can see and no bubbles while the truck is running either.

I'll do a compression test just to be 100% sure, but I am already confident that it's the gasket.

I'm probably going to let this job go to a shop. I read some posts about doing it and I just do not have the motivation for it. Maybe it's the cold weather or maybe it's the memories of doing this 2 winters ago on my other truck with a 454 and that being a bitch. Visually, this one looks 10 times harder and from what I am reading, it is.

One other question....Am I good to drive this thing a distance? I have no shops in my area that I'd let do this job. I want it to go to a diesel shop once I find one. I assume I can still drive the truck there, maybe just take it easy? No coolant is getting in the oil like you'd usually see so that is good I guess.

Set the tune back to stock and take it for a mild test drive. If it doesn't purge fluid out then yeah your good for a road trip to a shop. If it purges coolant on the stock tune with light throttle then I'd be careful. You def don't want to run low on coolant and warp a head from lack of cooling.

You good to drive for awhile they usually don't blow out big like most normal engines(putting gobs of coolant on top of the pistons) for the most part you will just have coolant loss due to the compression leak. Depending were you take it the job should be between 3,000 to 3,500 for quality work and having the heads checked 99% of the time the heads are fine but never do gaskets on a diesel especially v8 diesel In a truck without having heads tested there is just to much labor involved to get to them not to spend the extra to have them checked. I just finished a lly last week and this week got a 6.4 in for the same thing

Well, I've gotten 2 quotes from diesel shops so far. They are way off from each other though.

Repair plus some "upgrades"/common items to do while in there.....

5-6k

8-10k

Beerj said:
:eek:
I'd be on suicide watch

Yeah, I know I can do the job for less and most likely will end up being my winter project. There is some benefit of the guys with experience doing this for me, but there is a price tag on that too obviously. Like I said, I did this on my old gasser a couple years back and it's just a job that I took my time on and made sure to keep everything in a clean and organized fashion. I think if I started taking all the **** off this engine it would look ALOT less overwhelming to me.

All that being said, these prices included things like upgraded water pumps, injector test/clean, EFI Live, lift pump, full rework on the heads vs just clean and pressure check, etc, etc. I can take some of that stuff out of the equation and lower cost, but will I end up with that stuff some day anyway.....probably.

Makes better sense when you put it that way but still a good bit of change. Do you know what all the extras and things like head work that you can't do yourself total to? It'd be interesting to see how much or little of the bill is the actual tear down, install gasket and put it back together.

Beerj said:
Makes better sense when you put it that way but still a good bit of change. Do you know what all the extras and things like head work that you can't do yourself total to? It'd be interesting to see how much or little of the bill is the actual tear down, install gasket and put it back together.

I don't have a breakdown on paper, but I can safely say that 3-3500 at the smaller shop is the "basics" but that includes whatever work they are doing to the heads.

The other shop is at 5800-6K. They go through the heads totally though and said "why would someone NOT do that if you are this far in to it and spending the money" when I asked if people prefer to just have them pressure checked and decked. He was nicer about it than it sounds when I type it though.

The "extra" I think are fair to say makes about 2k. The second place used the 10K price but got in to injectors (said he'd really think about it if he were me and had 125K miles) and CP3, turbo, lift pumps, and some other little stuff. I asked what common failure items he saw and these are some he listed. He said if I wanted true piece of mind from the engine, count on 10k and be happy when it's less. They spent 42 minutes on the phone with me and REALLY seemed to know their ****. They went clear down to why they replace all the hose clamps even. Sounds like you will get what you pay for from them. IMO

So, if I have someone do it it's a safe bet to be in the 4-6 range. But at that price, what's another 2k, right?? I'm rounding up on the figures because I can guarantee with my luck, there will be some other issue arise when they get in there.

Both places stated labor of around 35-37 hours.

Now I'm baffled.....I have no "common" symptoms (bubbling in coolant tank, low coolant lights, loss of coolant discolored coolant) etc like most ppl report. I had the tank puke the one time and the upper hose hard and tank pressurized. Now, I've driven it twice once in stock mode and once in extreme and I'm not getting any symptoms at all. I'm hoping clemsonjeep had it right with the possible overheating idea. I did change radiator cap but had hard hose symptom the next day but not since then. Maybe I had air in the system somehow. :dunno:

I'm going to drive it for the next few days and monitor it I guess.

I hope everything goes well. I am too cheap to invest that much into an engine. I'd buy another cheap 7.3 and drive it till the wheels fell off, put them back on and do it again.

rpf500 said:
Now I'm baffled.....I have no "common" symptoms (bubbling in coolant tank, low coolant lights, loss of coolant discolored coolant) etc like most ppl report. I had the tank puke the one time and the upper hose hard and tank pressurized. Now, I've driven it twice once in stock mode and once in extreme and I'm not getting any symptoms at all. I'm hoping clemsonjeep had it right with the possible overheating idea. I did change radiator cap but had hard hose symptom the next day but not since then. Maybe I had air in the system somehow. :dunno:

I am telling you, you are worrying for no good reason. Park it on some ramp or uphill every night for a week and top of the coolant every morning before you start it and you'll be fine. You have 30 lbs of boost & an 18:1 compression ratio.... You 'd wouldn't have to guess if the gaskets were blown, especially hauling something

muddinmetal said:
I am telling you, you are worrying for no good reason.

I admit I have tendency to do that. But, I'd still like to know what caused it too happen initially. Especially since I was towing barely anything. (78 MG Midget) on flat roads, in sub 40 temps. I'll try what you said with parking on the incline.

First off there is no reason to do more then pressure test the heads and have them checked if any valve problems are found get NEW head or heads the reason in me saying this is the valve guides are notorious for galding the heads and yes they may be able to stick another guide in it will not be able to properly seat. 5to6 is dealership prices for the job 8-10 is way out of range even for the extras. To start with the water pump you do not touch this while doing heads and there is no reason to change out unless it is leaking as it is done easier from under the truck on a lift. Second if you are deleting the egr there should be no extra labor for this as they are already removing the egr while completing head job and it's simple block off plates witch in return makes the job easier. As far as EFI depending if your wanting a single tune or five and the switch max 1g there. Turbo does not have to be removed so no need for upgrades there unless you want them honestly I would pull heads have checked replace with fell pro gaskets all other gaskets can be reused except for the exhaust. Install studs or new bolts that all depends and performance mods you want max price should be 3500 with not needing new heads.

And about your injectors they have no reason to think they all need replaced because you don't have a lb7 and as easy as an lly is to change you change them one at a time. They can do a injector balance rate test in less then thirty minutes but if your having no issues with a miss or a shack at idle or fuel in oil there is no reason to touch the injectors. Sounds to me your going to wanna be shops who are just after you money and trying to use there ignorance against you. Hell for 5000 I'll come get your truck do the job and deliver in less then two weeks and put a year 25,000 mile warranty on the top end. If you need help message me on here and tell me the shops your taking it to I work my as off to make sure all my customers are treated fairly and nothing Pisces me of worse then a shop stealing your money

rpf500 said:

Yep that's the same thing my buddy experienced with his. We tried changing the radiator cap, bleeding the system multiple times and everything. Basically, after the tear down, what we found was his passenger side head was barely lifting off the back of the block behind cylinder #7. The gasket was not blown, there was just a small section you could see where the exhaust pressure was blowing out at times. We figure the factory torque to yield bolts might have barely tweaked and stretched just enough to allow the pressure to escape. Evidently HG failure is most common around cylinders 2 and 7 on duramax trucks.

Before the tear down, we talked to a friend who is the shop manager at a local diesel performance shop. He said we could probably get away with just tuning the truck back to stock and driving it for another year or 2 with no problems. He's had customers come in that have been topping coolant off every few months for years before actually bringing their truck in to be fixed. But, he recommended just going ahead and studding the truck.

Not sure if you are any kind of interested but seems like a decent deal for what I have seen the drivetrains go for.

awt3wi.png

civicmindedex79 said:
Not sure if you are any kind of interested but seems like a decent deal for what I have seen the drivetrains go for.

awt3wi.png

Wonder how many miles.