• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duramax head gaskets....RESOLVED

Re: Duramax head gaskets???

Can anyone explain Duramax egr to a dumbass? Reading more online regarding hg issues and see some ppl mention egr system. I planned to delete when I saved up for efi live anyway. But, can the egr system cause any of the stuff I've mentioned? I've driven truck 4 times now and no issues yet. Ran overflow tube into a water bottle for 20 mins today. No bubbles besides when I first put it in. But the bubbles where as small as what you'd see in a caffeinated drink. I understood the bubbles would be large and very evident if a hg issue??

I'm pulling jeep to local place tomorrow to wheel a bit. Maybe putting a load on the truck will make problem reappear.

Got this today right after turning to stock.

Attachments

• IMAG0643_1.jpg
    IMAG0643_1.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 226

Details....

Attachments

• IMAG0645_1.jpg
    IMAG0645_1.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG0644_1.jpg
    IMAG0644_1.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 218

Egr can put exhaust pressure into the coolant if the cooler cracks internally. If this has happened you will also get coolant into the engine when the Egr valve cycles. Best thing to do is pull the Egr valve and see if there is any water or traces of water around the valve and cooler outlet. Best way to check is to pull the intake tube off and unbolt the valve from the cooler then unbolt valve from the intake horn hope that helps as far as your codes it sounds like harness rub on the intake horn

Just wanted to update this incase someone else runs across the thread while searching. Anyway, head gaskets are bad. I ended up taking it to Danville performance since they were the closest to me. The local diesel place I just couldn't trust even after 3 conversations with them.

I should have it back in another week. It's not cheap, but I know it'll be done correctly.

I got the truck back last night. Again, it was a very small head gasket leak. Just wanted to close this thread so if anyone sees it they know what the outcome was. It ended up with some other mods along the way that I didn't intend on, but I think after driving it home last night, I'm happy I pulled the trigger. I guess the real test will be the trip to HPO for the Hardline ride. Anxious to see how it pulls now.

Here is the list of mods incase anyone cares and the dyno sheet. Leaving power on the table due to running a stock transmission, but I had no intentions of modifying this truck at all when I bought it. Starting to look like this could be as bad a habit as wheeling!

4" MBRP
Fass Titanium 150
PCV Reroute
Edge CTS
Danville GT3794 Stage 2
Allseason Super High Flow EGR Delete
LML Manifold
ARP Studs
EFI Live w/ DSP5 by Mark Broviak.

Attachments

• DYNO NUMBERS 2016.jpg
    DYNO NUMBERS 2016.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 227
Oh god. I'm with beerJ. Fawk man. Y'all fukers just got 5000 sittin around for a dam head gasket? Dude that sucks rpf.. I seriously can't imagine. Actually I can, and I have no clue wtf I would do... It may include dressing in black and a ski mask. Good lord. I'd have to beg and pray that someone would help me. Fawk man. I sure hate that happened to you. Makes me sick thinking bout it... I will say I have shitty luck like you.. Prob worse. But I'm gonna say a prayer in a min and thank god when I was standing on that dealership that day at the end of 07... And they had one LBZ left... And I chose tha ole classic instead of the new new. Bout tha only time that has happened to me. Usually I'm the one that picks the wrong one. This whole situation blows. And God forbid it happens to me.. I'll b driving the samurai or jeep around the neighborhood I guess. I just can't imagine.. Atleast we don't have a ford. Fawk me...

Edit. I just thought bout this and I honestly would burn the truck in my driveway. It would be my only choice. Yep. I'm that guy.

kushKrawlin said:
Oh god. I'm with beerJ. Fawk man. Y'all fukers just got 5000 sittin around for a dam head gasket? Dude that sucks rpf.. I seriously can't imagine. Actually I can, and I have no clue wtf I would do... It may include dressing in black and a ski mask. Good lord. I'd have to beg and pray that someone would help me. Fawk man. I sure hate that happened to you. Makes me sick thinking bout it... I will say I have shitty luck like you.. Prob worse. But I'm gonna say a prayer in a min and thank god when I was standing on that dealership that day at the end of 07... And they had one LBZ left... And I chose tha ole classic instead of the new new. Bout tha only time that has happened to me. Usually I'm the one that picks the wrong one. This whole situation blows. And God forbid it happens to me.. I'll b driving the samurai or jeep around the neighborhood I guess. I just can't imagine.. Atleast we don't have a ford. Fawk me...

Edit. I just thought bout this and I honestly would burn the truck in my driveway. It would be my only choice. Yep. I'm that guy.

Not to ruin your day, but mine is an 06 "classic" just has a LBZ engine but with the LLY older style gaskets since it was an early build date and GM probably wanted to use up their inventory of gaskets.

I'm not sure I wanna look mine up... Fawk. Dude that **** blows so bad man. I just finished replacing thermostats in mine... Everywhere I read said about an hour or two .. Me.. All dam day.. Hahaha I figure a head gasket for me would be a 2 month job. And NEVER run again.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
You guys are making me love my 8.1.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I searched high and low for one. Very hard to find, especially if you want a certain color or specific options. Now this is over with, I'm happy with the diesel. Just my bad luck