• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duramax questions

Eddyj

I'm looking at an 05 duramax. Anything I should be concerned about? I had an 03 and 04 and gave up on Chevy after replacing injectors in it every other year.

Re: Duramax questions

c33b59747b5ec5c0d16d695f7d78b351.jpg
816d0478290dc5a9fd33a4cb5d915ae0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Duramax in that truck is a little different than the ones in the pickups from what I've heard. I've also heard they're worse than the ones in the pickups. :dunno:

That truck most likely had a 6 cyl izuzu engine badged as a duramax. They don't have that many problems that I've seen.

on 65000 and up trucks would be an Isuzu 7.8L engine. The 4500 and 5500 kodiaks are pretty much the same as the pickups. Some have more oil capacity, the Allison is a 2000 model and are tuned more for towing/hauling. I am pretty sure the horsepower is detuned as well. I had an 06 model 5500 as a dump truck. Geared super low, (5.13) but IMO are underpowered for where I live (NC Mountains). Parts are pretty expensive like brakes, as a lot of the stuff has to come from GM and the trucks were discontinued in 2010. Mine was 4wd and ate joints in the driveshafts and axles pretty frequently. The motors are good, the rest of the trucks were just ok and I have had 5 duramax trucks all with different version d-max. Never had a problem with any generation motor, except an 04 with injectors but they were replaced before I got it. Also if it has an exhaust brake, they work awesome. Think they are only on 5500, can't tell what the one in the pic is. Should be an LLY engine in that truck, I know some of the pickups had over heating issues but dunno about the Kodiak, mine was an LLY as well.

05 and newer are the good ones. They solved the injector problems on those

Just make sure the hoses don't get hard after running it. LLY's are the worst for head gaskets. If the head gaskets are good it should be a good truck.

That's not normal after fixing them. Once they are replaced with the new style gasket they are good to go. If the heads and deck were flat I have never had a problem after replacing them.