• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Early 2000's Tahoe??

My girlfriend has an 02 yukon and it has been great for the couple years shes owned it. It has the third row seating and works great for haulin 4 little girls around till you wanna put anything in the back then we wish we had the XL version. Gas milage aint the best but oh well and the cold start knock kinda sucks but its not worth fixin right now

The early 5.3 engines had bad cylinder heads.Not all of them but a lot of them had internal coolant leaks where coolant would leak through and around the head bolts under the valve cover and eventually make the lifters start ticking and then lead to failure.It was such a slow leak it would take a week or two for the coolant bottle to turn the light on and to detect the leak I would use a pressure tester over night and remove the valve covers to find the leaks,it was pretty common.Of course the 6.0 never had this problem.

Our Yukon has a lifter tick after drivin down the highway and after it has been sittin over night, sounds like all the lifters rattle till they get some lube i wonder if this could be the problem

We got some that had a really bad cold knock and what we did was pull all the spark plugs,take top engine cleaner,pour it into the cylinders,and let it sit over night.The next day crank it over with the plugs out to push the top engine cleaner out,change the engine oil,and eventually the engine will start and the knock will be gone....usually caused by carbon.

I've seen a few head problems at about 100k-130k and waterpumps. My mom has an 04 Tahoe with 120k, still runs strong, no engine problems. Knock on wood. My brother has a 2000 Silverado with 220k, he just replaced waterpump and power steering pump. The shop I used to work for before I went to school swears by these vehicles.

There good rigs,like Crash said"the amount of rigs you work on is nothing that is driving around with no problems of this sort"some thing like that.....I'm drunk posting :cheer: