• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Early 2000's Tahoe??

XO FAB

I'm in the market for a Tahoe for my ol lady- 02-03ish. Never owned one of these, any bad years to look out for or any big issues to know about? Thanks

Our 03 has been excellent. Check the heater core and make sure it doesn't have that 100k bs anti freeze in it. Oh, and don't clip the rear wheel well with a suburban... it will rip **** off.

the 4L60E seem to be a weak transmission. my parents was rebuilt at 120K on their 2003 and my suburban 2004 was at 135K. the 5.3 with regular maintenance runs great. crappy gas mileage

x2 on the trans. I seem to be doing 2 or 3 of these per month. 120-130 k like clockwork. If it's got more miles, it's probably been done... less, you'll be doing it soon. Other than that, good overall rigs.

x2 on the trans. I seem to be doing 2 or 3 of these per month. 120-130 k like clockwork. If it's got more miles, it's probably been done... less, you'll be doing it soon. Other than that, good overall rigs.

Thanks. I kinda figured id be looking at putting a tranny in at some point, but good to know they need em' by 130K.

I have the 4L60E in my Tahoe and just hit 165,000 miles. The trans works awesome. I got the tahoe at 130,000 too. It sat for 5 years before I got it. No idea if it has been fixed up or not. As far as mileage, I have the 5.7 and it gets 15-18 MPG. Not the best, but pretty much the average for an SUV. :awesomework:

My girlfriends mom has an 05. She has almost 180k on it. I'm expecting the tranny to start having issues... It's overdue.
My cousin works at a tranny shop, and says they're good for 130-150 before they need a tranny.
I'm not sure what V8 it has (it was top of the line every option when they bought it new) and I think her mom gets a little over 20mpg going from Enumclaw to Tukwilla every day.

For what they are, I think they're better than an Expedition, or Durango. Easy to work on, and not too many known problems that I know of.

Ours has 160k and the tranny is still strong. These and 700's don't like heat and have given many people issues, Ive only had 1 issue and that was due to fluid loss. If you find one you like, put a gauge on and cool it accordingly. The amount of rebuilds wouldn't worry me since there are a metric **** ton of these things getting abused on the road everyday.
Mileage sucks, I don't bother figuring it out (5.3l).

We see a s*it ton of them. Only done a couple trannies. With regular service they go a long time. I've done more tcase repairs then trannies that's a fact.

my wife drives an 05 suburban and it had a tranny at 75k a waterpump at 50 k and nothing on the back door works and the pass side defrost in mirror no worky. half the dash lights are out, pass. side seat was replace the frame of it, and a few other b.s. things also. I am a ford mean but gave this chev a chance, I will never buy one again! ohh and it is almost paid for, but not yet, last new car she will get too!

The early 5.3 engines had bad cylinder heads.Not all of them but a lot of them had internal coolant leaks where coolant would leak through and around the head bolts under the valve cover and eventually make the lifters start ticking and then lead to failure.It was such a slow leak it would take a week or two for the coolant bottle to turn the light on and to detect the leak I would use a pressure tester over night and remove the valve covers to find the leaks,it was pretty common.Of course the 6.0 never had this problem.

good rigs, but as everyone is saying the tranny is the weak link. i actually have one in my stall right now, that being said i wouldnt hestitate to buy one, they are comfy and drive very nice. 15-19 mpg is great for what it is.

Actually the trans failure rate is pretty low considering HOW many were produced.

Yeah we do quite a few rebuilds on these, but there's just a ton of 4L60E's around and they're getting to that age. Only work I consistently do on late model 'Burbs and Tahoes aside from pulling transmissions is usual front end wear stuff and brakes.