• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

early dana 60

rchrd989

What do you guys know about early dana 60's? I picked up a dana 60 today because it was the 63.5" wms to wms like I have been looking for. I tore it apart today when I got it home and it has 16 spline shafts and the wheel bearings are pretty small. Not necesarly in diameter but in depth. Im thinking this is a 60 from a late 60's ford which is making it seem hard to figure out how Im going to go disk brakes and 35 spline. I tried looking up the BOM but the numbers that are in the BOM spot arent BOM numbers. What do you guys think?

thanks, Richard :awesomework:

Sounds like the same 60 I'm running. I did disk brakes using GM 3/4 ton rotors and weld on caliper brackets. I bored the spindles on a lathe, and made them just big enough for the 35 spline shafts to pass through. No problems.

Ill post some tomorrow, I was looking online at bolt on disc brake brackets today and one set a guy sells on ebay says that the bolt holes are 3 and 3/8ths and 3 and 9/16ths apart. I measure all of mine are 3 and 3/8ths apart. Ill post some pictures tomorrow.

My buddy jonathon has the tool to bore the spindles out but hes at moab right now and is to cool to answer his phone. I know he bought a 63.5" rear end also but I think he was saying his was from the early 70's

Sounds like the same 60 I'm running. I did disk brakes using GM 3/4 ton rotors and weld on caliper brackets. I bored the spindles on a lathe, and made them just big enough for the 35 spline shafts to pass through. No problems.

Isn't it common to have to bore ford spindles out for 35spline stubs? I thought I read it someplace

thats some serious dough right there. I think im gonna be able to get away wioth some weld on caliper brackets and some 70's 3/4 ton chevy brakes. we"ll see

Yeah not cheap thats for sure. Post up about how your project turns out. I'm planning to do 60's for my jeep one of these days and if it can be done cheaper it might be done sooner.

What do you guys know about early dana 60's? I picked up a dana 60 today because it was the 63.5" wms to wms like I have been looking for. I tore it apart today when I got it home and it has 16 spline shafts and the wheel bearings are pretty small. Not necesarly in diameter but in depth. Im thinking this is a 60 from a late 60's ford which is making it seem hard to figure out how Im going to go disk brakes and 35 spline. I tried looking up the BOM but the numbers that are in the BOM spot arent BOM numbers. What do you guys think?

thanks, Richard :awesomework:

what you have is a small bearing 60. you will be unable to bore for 35 spline axles as there is'nt enough material left after boring, only threads. you will need to find one from an early 70's to late 70's that measures 66.5 wms (large bearing). another option would be to find some other spindles to weld on such as 14 bolt,dana 70, 60 large bearing, etc... some old timers prefer the older 60 saying that the center section has more nickle content thus reducing the chances of cracking and pulling welds. good luck on your build

Rich im back in town and my phone is charged :flipoff:

My 60 is from a 72 ford, I need to check at work to see if you use different wheel bearings, I thinking it should be the same as mine. Mine is 63.5 WMS and I had no problems boring the spindles, they dont get as thin as most think. Nothing a little measuring cant determine...

Latest posts