• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

****ed up 4L60E

I know it isn't in the same realm, but my trans in the Dmax went apeshit on my trip to Virginia and back.

It would do all sorts of weird **** (ie. slam into gear changes, come out of OD into 4th for no reason, "slip" through gear changes.).

I pulled the codes from the CEL and it said the MAF sensor was bad. I replaced it to the tune of $250 and still had the same issues. So I replaced both trans filters and fluid. Still same issues.

Crashypoo helped me find a rub in the wiring harness on the engine which I had inspected, but found the wires weren't rubbed through, in fact they looked fine to me. I took it apart and cleaned up the wires, re wrapped the harness with some hose and tape and it cleared up all my problems.

So I figured out how to pull the codes for this OBD1 ****er...

Pulls 4 codes...

66 - Transmission 3rd-2nd control solenoid circuit malfunction Wiring, control solenoid, ECM

67 - Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid circuit malfunction Wiring, TCC solenoid, ECM

81 - Transmission shift solenoid (SS), 2nd-3rd circuit malfunction Wiring, SS, ECM

82 - Transmission shift solenoid (SS), 1st-2nd circuit malfunction Wiring, SS, ECM

Sounds like it is a wiring problem, or a bad ECM..

ALL those codes tell me you are loosing the voltage feed. I will have to double check but if I remember correctly all those solenoids are fed voltage and the ecm simple controls them by toggling the ground..

ALL those codes tell me you are loosing the voltage feed. I will have to double check but if I remember correctly all those solenoids are fed voltage and the ecm simple controls them by toggling the ground..

I ordered the Pressure Control Solenoid today. I will spend some time on the harness before I pull the pan off again and see if I find anywhere where the wires look like they could be bad...

Couple things I pulled off Identifix,

Tests/Procedures: 1. Turn the key on, engine off. Check for battery voltage at the "Trans" fuse.

2. Check for B+ into the transmission on the Pink/Black wire.

3. If the voltage drops lower than battery voltage, check at C100 for a bad connection at pin a3.

4. If voltage is present at connector C100, replace the Pink/Black wire to the transmission from C100.

Tests/Procedures: 1. Locate the Pink wire pin "E" at the transmission pass-through connector. (NOTE: there are multiple Pink wires in the connector).

2. Turn the key on, engine off. Using a headlight and suitable jumpers, load the Pink wire at Pin "E". Verify good voltage is present to the pin.

3. If voltage is low or insufficient, locate terminal A2 of C100. The connector will be to the driver's side of the Master Cylinder assembly, where the harness goes through the firewall. With the circuit still loaded at the transmission connector, check for battery voltage at terminal A2.

4. If voltage is correct, repair open circuit or bad wire between C100 and the transmission pass-through connector

Customer Concern: Has trouble codes 66, 67, 81, 82 and 83. All transmission problems. Intermittently the transmission starts in 3rd gear. Problem has occurred 2 times in 11,000 miles. Intermittently the "PRNDL" display is dim.
Average Reported Mileage: 89000
Tests/Procedures: Clear the codes. Check the ignition switch by backprobing the "TRANS" fuse during the failure. If voltage drops below charging system voltage, and any of the codes reappear, the ignition switch will have failed. If intermittent, wiggle the ignition switch while monitoring the voltage.

Latest posts