• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

EFI Live tuning?

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Been wanting to get a tune/ do a tune for my 8.1, dad has talked about tuning his 6.0 gasser and so has my buddy with a similar truck. Makes me think about looking into what it would take to get the EFI Live stuff and play with it myself. I like to think I got a halfway decent head on my shoulders and that with some research and practice I could figure it out. Was just curious if anybody else on here had any experience or pointers on it?

i'm pretty sure patooyee on here has used hp tuners for his buggy, so he may be able to fill you in on some things. IMO, unless your going to start using it quite a bit or have the desire to research and learn all the in's and out's, you are better off to take it to somebody who has experience with the software and tuning in general. Are you going to rent a dyno to tune on? I know you don't have to have a dyno but it is much quicker & easier to tune on a dyno than driving down a road or in a field. I would price the software and other items you will need to tune with, cost of licenses each time and then decide if it is even economical for you.

Just my opinion and things you need to think about.

I do have / use HPT for my LS2 but I don't "tune" my engine for several reasons.

• My engine is stock and I've been told by multiple tuners with vast tons more experience than me that there is almost nothing to be gained on a stock LS2.
  • I don't have access to a dyno.
  • Without a dyno you're just shooting in the dark.

I am still glad that I own HPT though. I was able to disable VATS, torque management, disable DTC's, and all the other little things that are required to get the engine to run as a standalone without having to send anything out. I am also able to go back and and play with things over time without having to send the ECM somewhere and disable the rig. The diagnostic scanner is way more powerful than any other. I've also been able to get a hold of some "aftermarket" tunes from some reputable "tuners" and found that some of them are not really doing anything anyway. Some very obviously have no clue what they are doing.

Just my opinion but if you are going to send your ECM out for a tune and have any aftermarket power adders you need to make sure to send it to a place that OWNS a dyno and has done HUNDREDS of tunes. The only way to get anything relatively in the ballpark will be to get someone who has done hundreds of engines with the same / similar mods. Enough to where they know they can get you in the ballpark without running you on the dyno. Even then you're leaving some power on the table because every engine is different. Without that kind of experience you're just going to get a generic BS tune that is ...

• ... a copy of some high performance stock tune. (IE, they will erase your stock info and paste a tune from a Corvette, Cadillac, or something else in its place.)
  • ... a terrible tune that will damage your engine.
  • ... a terrible tune that will leave tons of power on the table.

If you have a stock engine and send your ECM out you are probably going to receive something with VATS disabled, a generic listing of DTC's disabled, maybe a cut and paste OEM tune, and random bits and pieces of torque management disabled.

People don't realize what they are asking of a mail order tune. Its like trying to sight a rifle scope in without firing a shot. Worse really. Its like asking SOMEONE ELSE to sight your scope in for you without firing a shot. If you've ever sighted a scope in you know that you need to fire shots, adjust, fire shots, adjust, repeat several times before you hone in on your target and are comfortable with the results. And even then if you give the rifle to someone else they will shoot differently than you did.

Even though I have the program to do the tuning, I wouldn't feel confident enough in my ability to use it properly to just go get on a dyno and start tuning. I would want someone there to help me my first few times.

Re:

I'm not going to make a decision anytime soon. Figured I would look into and might be something to do for a hobby. Does HPT allow you to datalog? I don't have a buddy with a dyno to use but I was under the impression some guys have good luck driving around and making adjustments based on datalogs.

If I was going to do a mail order I would probably go with BlackBear since they seem to have the best reputation and I believe his tow rig is an 8.1 so I would think he might know a good bit about my motor and what I would want. He also flies around the country and has events you can sign up for where he rides in your vehicle with you and makes adjustments.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I'm not going to make a decision anytime soon. Figured I would look into and might be something to do for a hobby. Does HPT allow you to datalog? I don't have a buddy with a dyno to use but I was under the impression some guys have good luck driving around and making adjustments based on datalogs.

If I was going to do a mail order I would probably go with BlackBear since they seem to have the best reputation and I believe his tow rig is an 8.1 so I would think he might know a good bit about my motor and what I would want. He also flies around the country and has events you can sign up for where he rides in your vehicle with you and makes adjustments.

Yes, HPT has a very powerful datalog function. EFILive has some sort of real-time tuning add-on that allows you to adjust parameters on the fly without having to flash the ECM. HPT does not have that. EFILive's version is somewhat limited from my understanding because to truly tune on the fly you need a custom ECM. But data logging without a Dyno is still just seat-of-the-pants tuning.

The biggest seat of the pants increase is simply turning off torque management. You have to do that to tune it anyway (You couldn't be accurately tuning with torque management adjusting what you do real-time without you knowing.) and once you do you feel an immediate kick in the butt.

Re:

I can definitely feel the torque management holding the big block back. It's annoying as ****. Would almost be worth it just to turn that off so I can drive the truck and not the computer.

I also have HP have used efi live now hp has pretty much caught up to efi live plus being able to use it on other makes kinda makes it a no brainer IMO

Re:

I have EFILive that I used to load some ATP tunes on my Duramax after the DSP5 install,

I've also downloaded the tunes off all my friends vehicles, and downloaded stock tunes off the forums just to look at and get familiar with what is available.

I did use it to disable the DOD and lessen torque management on my friends wife's 2007 Surburban, which solved the oil consumption and driveability problems it was having.