• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock Tuning - Tools Needed

bbtank45

Under Construction
Ive had (4) Fox 2.0 CO's with remote res on my rig for the last 2 years, and shamefully have been wheeling with factory valving in them. Id like to start experimenting with some better than shitty valving but wanted to get your opinion on the tools needed to do so. Im just a trail rider, no high speed racing.

1) What are you using to fill shocks? Any "home brew" nitrogen filling stations?

2) Did you purchase a complete shim kit? Or is the kit overkill?

3) What else?

Thanks HL

I bought a fill kit off ebay and a gauge with a button you press to let pressure off. This helps getting your pressure exactly where you want them. I called Alltech and had them send me the shims I needed. Probably should go ahead and get new wear parts and oil.

Regulator and air chuck is what I use.

I also have a no loss gauge but I use it to check an existing pressure in a shock, and nothing else really.

Buying some existing shim stacks of the Fox table is helpful at first, at least you know where you're going when going up and down the adjustment range.

And giving a little phone call you guys like Ryan at Accutune or Phil at Liberty Mnt can't be a bad idea, I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

Nitrogen tank with regulator, hose & chuck. You should be able to source everything local to you.

No loss gauge set up is a must. Use it when filling at all times. I've found regulators on tanks are off a bit. You can make one of these yourself also.
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Shocks-802-02-002-Nitrogen-Filler/dp/B01I9Y37VW/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525963106&sr=1-14&keywords=no+loss+pressure+gauge

Spanner wrench & pre load nut wrenches are a must. They make things easier and don't scar up parts when opening up shocks. I used to have two wrenches that had two common shock sizes for spanners and pre load nuts made into one wrench but then my shop got broke into, so they gone. Now I gotta find something else.....

Over time I've accumulated shims and seals as shocks have been serviced. To start I would order at least however many seal kits for your shocks you are servicing and maybe an extra to have around. Shims, I would pick a couple shim packs to start with. Look at what you have in your shocks now and order some different valving sizes from what you have already.

Aluminum or soft jaws for your vice.

Syringe, I use these especially with air bumps. Here is an example but likely also something you could source locally.
https://www.polyperformance.com/tools-storage/shock-tools/poly-performance-air-shock-syringe

Bebop said:
And giving a little phone call you guys like Ryan at Accutune or Phil at Liberty Mnt can't be a bad idea, I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

I've spoke with Phil and tuned with him in KY. He is a super nice guy but I'm not going to bother him unless I'm spending money with him or potentially spending money with him. This is how they make their living. It would be like calling up a mechanic and asking for advise and then order parts from rockauto and fixing your vehicle. Just my opinion and likely Phil would help you if you called.

I was in KY with Phil too. I don't recall him using a no loss gage. But it makes total sense it would be more precise.

Of course if you call either Ryan or Phil, I would have assumed you'd buy everything they advise you to get from them.

Does Ryan sell custom shim stacks or can you only get his valving if you send the shocks to him?

01tj said:
Does Ryan sell custom shim stacks or can you only get his valving if you send the shocks to him?

I think I red somewhere he used to but doesn't do it anymore. You have to send your shocks to him.

Bebop said:
I think I red somewhere he used to but doesn't do it anymore. You have to send your shocks to him.

This is correct, we only do our valving in house now.

No loss chuck is nice for air bumps, but not necessary on coilovers.

Thanks for all the input guys, this helps me a lot.

I spent some time our at Sunfire Offroad and had Scott do my first bench tune. Just based on the provided specs from the rig....put the shocks back on last night, feels like im ridin on a cloud of ( . ) ( . ). So far, best money i spent on the rig since i started building 8 yrs ago.