• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elbe question

Eric

Looking into going with a group to elbe next weekend, we wont do the Busy, but the question is how hard are the trails right now?

My rig is a 4runner on 31s with locker, curious if I should stay away or would be able to pick my way though with minimal to no body damage.

Let me know

Thanks

Haven't been to Elbe lately, but typically this time of year you should be OK on everything except the Busywild.

Perhaps someone who's run it lately will post up.

Elbe is pretty moist right now. All of the trails sould be doable for a rig with one locker. There are some pretty big holes off the alder loop. And there is a nasty but fun hillclimb inbetween the main line extension and the alder loop trail.

The busy is doable if you have a winch and dont mind some body damage. At the work party last month, we made a bypass for the biggest of the holes if you get into trouble down there.

Elbe is pretty moist right now. All of the trails sould be doable for a rig with one locker. There are some pretty big holes off the alder loop. And there is a nasty but fun hillclimb inbetween the main line extension and the alder loop trail.

The busy is doable if you have a winch and dont mind some body damage. At the work party last month, we made a bypass for the biggest of the holes if you get into trouble down there.

cool thats what I needed to hear, how deep are the holes?

cool thats what I needed to hear, how deep are the holes?

I just got done running everything but Busy today. Everything was doable but I would skip Alder loop, Yes the holes are large ( I am running 35's with lockers on a solid axle 4runner) I didnt have to winch it...but it was certainly a challenge:haha: . My trail partner with another 85 Runner with open diffs and 35's and made most everything.

I just got done running everything but Busy today. Everything was doable but I would skip Alder loop, Yes the holes are large ( I am running 35's with lockers on a solid axle 4runner) I didnt have to winch it...but it was certainly a challenge:haha: . My trail partner with another 85 Runner with open diffs and 35's and made most everything.

We are working towards making some more fun spots at Elbe instead of JUST the Busywild.

I be most of you have never run Rainier Vista - probably with good reason, because it's pretty much a 2wd trail.

I won't be by this time next year. If you've run it before you may recall that it has a pretty nice but straightforward hill climb - we plan to change that! Some well placed boulders and downed timber on that hill climb will take it from a 2wd trail to a dual lockers required trail. There's a good spot at the top of the hill climb for some dedicated winch anchors even.

I haven't worked out all the details with Nancy about how challenging we can make it, but with easy trails like Gotcha, the Mainline and Sunrise she agreed that the trail system could benefit from another trail with a difficulty level similar to the Busywild. Since no one was using that trail anyway, I mean literally no one, it's not going to have a detrimental affect on anyone else's use.

The changes won't involve mud, the trail is accessible by SWB and LWB vehicles and ends at the pit at the end of the 9 road. If we can find materials Nancy has given us the OK for a rock garden up there. There are a few isolated interesting parts to that, but scatter some huge boulders and we could make some very creative obstacles.

The

The trail connection that we put in between the Alder Loop and Mainline extension didn't start off to be that hard but it deteriorated into a lot of fun, fast.

FYI for anyone running the Busy. It IS a one way trail only year round and must be run in the downhill directions. The entrance for this is off the mainline trail ONLY. Please, do not run this in the other direction.

Busy Wild is the ****........all else is gay.......nuff said.:wtf:

In that case, you'll need to come out to the work parties where we get to convert the Rainier Vista into a real trail. We always need test vehicles to see if it's hard enough...

In that case, you'll need to come out to the work parties where we get to convert the Rainier Vista into a real trail. We always need test vehicles to see if it's hard enough...

Have you considered, - by passes for the ATV's that do play around up there, that may or may not be able to run the trails? what will they be faced with, as far as go arounds? i hate to jump in on this, as i seem to never be able to get away and attend a work party. since my DAUGHTER was born. but i do have concerns as i've seen what a group of ATV's is capable of doing, such as damage - creating by passes.

----------

Big Thumbs Up - on re-creating a little more obstacle / challenge where there really wasn't none or anyone bothering to use it.

Its good to hear about the improvements to the area :awesomework: Gibby keep up the good work.

Have you considered, - by passes for the ATV's that do play around up there, that may or may not be able to run the trails? what will they be faced with, as far as go arounds? i hate to jump in on this, as i seem to never be able to get away and attend a work party. since my DAUGHTER was born. but i do have concerns as i've seen what a group of ATV's is capable of doing, such as damage - creating by passes.

----------

Big Thumbs Up - on re-creating a little more obstacle / challenge where there really wasn't none or anyone bothering to use it.

Yes and no. The ATVs have their own trail system up there separate to the 4x4 system. We're not allowed to use their trails. ATVs are allowed to use our trails but they must follow the same rules as we do which is to stay on the trails. The ATVs have to use the same common sense that the 4x4s do. If the trail's too tough for me or my ATV, then turn around and go back or don't go on that trail.

On the flip side to that we are working with the DNR to allow the development of legal bypasses where available, particularly if a specific section of trail or a specific obstacle is significantly more difficult than the rest of the trail. For example, if a trail is generally doable by a LWB vehicle except for one spot where the trees are simply too close together causing undue damage or making physically impossible for the LWB vehicle to fit, then making a bypass so that the LWB vehicle can navigate that section and use the entire trial is sensible. However, if the majority of the trail is not suitable for LWB vehicles we're not going to consider bypasses around everything just so that a LWB doesn't get discriminated against. Same story with ATVs. If they can navigate the trail do so, if not, stay off - they already have a separate trail system built and maintained just for them. I personally put the ATV in the same class here as say, a Sami (no offense Sami owners). The smaller tired Sami's can often negotiate obstacles that they aren't big enough to handle, simple because they have so many line choices. A Sami on 33s can go places a 4runner on 33s wouldn't dream about. If there is a section of a trail not suitable for a Sami, but the rest of the trail is, and if a suitable bypass can be made (most likely someone already did) we'll do so for the Sami, but not with the specific intent of accomodating the ATVs.

I'm not anti-ATV by any means. My kids all ride ATVs. They're all ORV tagged and we built our own track.

I don't see us specifically considering making the 4x4 trails suitable for the ATVs however, if the ATV volunteer groups want to work with the DNR and make bypasses on the 4x4 trails, we can't stop them. The 4x4 trails are then only ones designated as multi-use and those who work on them are those who get to use them. Technically these trails can be used by hikers, horses, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and 4x4s, but the 4x4 can ONLY use the 4x4 trails. Since the other user groups have their own trails at Elbe, we don't have to make our trails SUITable for the other user groups.

On Rainier Vista, we hope to designate this as a 5/5 rated trail with 35" and larger tires, dual lockers and winch recommended. All ATVs should be able to read the signs and make a decision to try another trail. I am working on makeing this trail and the Busywild a NON-ATV trail. I don't know if this will fly but 90% of the user built bypasses and related damage are started by ATVs that don't belong on the trail. The rest of the 4x4 trails are passable by ATVs.

i hate to jump in on this, as i seem to never be able to get away and attend a work party. since my DAUGHTER was born.

Unfortunately over this has been a significant problem over the past year or so for just about everyone it seems. The Timber Tamers have adopted the Sunrise trail and have been a huge help out there. The Thundertrucks were instrumental in building the bridges last year on the Sunrise trail but for the past year or so the guys at the Dogpound offroad club, Off Camber Off road and the Faithwheelers have been the only consistent people doing work at Elbe. It's been very frustrating to hear people telling us what they want, what they need and then not showing up to help.

We're running two major work parties out there each year, one in late May and one in late September. We'd sure appreciate more people planning on making it to these so that we can make these changes sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Don't worry Dale. Rich has deep seated issues. He is in no position to offer advice on what to do, how to do it, where to do it, or any other thing wheelin related.

He should be in webwheelers anonymous.

Hey Gibby, do you guys ever work on the trails outside of the twice a year work parties. I'd love to come out and help maintain/ build these trails. I got screwed out of going to the last Elbe work party.

Hey Gibby, do you guys ever work on the trails outside of the twice a year work parties. I'd love to come out and help maintain/ build these trails. I got screwed out of going to the last Elbe work party.

Yes, to a point. There used to be a lot more work parties, but I have limited time as well.

We should be getting back to quarterly focus group meetings (I announce these on as many of the boards that I can), which are typically at the Graham fire station. We also have what I would call emergency work parties after wind storms and such. Last year we got lucky as some of the groups were out there clearing trees that blocked the trails on there own and kept everything open.

You should be able to run every trail but the busy. I was up there last weekend and the Busy's getting pretty technical. I munched some body parts on my sami. My friend in a cj7 open and 33's was denied.

You should be able to run every trail but the busy. I was up there last weekend and the Busy's getting pretty technical. I munched some body parts on my sami. My friend in a cj7 open and 33's was denied.

Once the busy get's sloppy you shouldn't enter the busy without 35s, at least one locker and a working winch on each vehicle. Some Sami's as exceptions and can handle it with smaller tires because they can simply choose alternate lines but the locker and winch requirements are the same.

Don't forget the tree savers!!!!!

so who has these maps with atv trails in that system... cause the only ones i can find are 4x4 trail maps.

I don't know... The 4x4 groups are WAY ahead of the other user groups in mapping trails and systems. You might try to WOHVA website to see if you can find someone who has ATV maps if they are available.

At Elbe, the Horsepeople and the 4x4 people are the most active in maintaining and working on the trails.

The ATV people share the same campground as we do (the horse people have the horsecamp) but I don't recall ever hearing about them having a work party up there or doing anything at the campground. It's the 4x4 people that seem to be doing the majority of the work up there.

It's entirely possible that there ARE no current ATV maps but it's my understanding that there are ATV only trails.