• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elbe Rock crawl and Rainier Vista

I wouldn't hook to an eyelet on a stump. If it was too flush with the ground I'd find a way to wittle in to the back somehow, and get cable around it. I have even seen eyelets break off of ecology blocks.

I wouldn't hook to an eyelet on a stump. If it was too flush with the ground I'd find a way to wittle in to the back somehow, and get cable around it. I have even seen eyelets break off of ecology blocks.

If you use ecology block's, you want to use one's that have a cable picking point not rebar. The ones with rebar break easy.:awesomework:

If there are any oldgrowth stumps along there, those things are usually solid in the middle (at least fir and cedar stumps) They use 75+ year old old growth stumps for tail holds for yarders all the time. Just cut into it till ya reach solid wood an wrap a cable around it.

You could also use cement filled steel pipes liek you wee in parkin lots

If there are any oldgrowth stumps along there, those things are usually solid in the middle (at least fir and cedar stumps) They use 75+ year old old growth stumps for tail holds for yarders all the time. Just cut into it till ya reach solid wood an wrap a cable around it.

You could also use cement filled steel pipes liek you wee in parkin lots

Watchin a lot of ax men? I think the eco block idea is best, but I would wrap a chain around it and use it as a dead man. Bot the cable and rebar eyes have a short life span when being used a lot. I doubt that no one will be stopping by nybo on the way up getting new eco blocks with good cable eyes to bury. A lot of the time when I use eco blocks for temp. water thrust blocks we wrap a chain around them just in case due to having more than one of those eyes break. CHEAP INSURANCE:beer:

Watchin a lot of ax men? I think the eco block idea is best, but I would wrap a chain around it and use it as a dead man. Bot the cable and rebar eyes have a short life span when being used a lot. I doubt that no one will be stopping by nybo on the way up getting new eco blocks with good cable eyes to bury. A lot of the time when I use eco blocks for temp. water thrust blocks we wrap a chain around them just in case due to having more than one of those eyes break. CHEAP INSURANCE:beer:

The chain is a good idea. What about bending a peace of tubing around the bottom side of the eco block. So when the chain breaks or rusts. One could run a wire threw the tubing put it threw the end of a new chain and pull it threw?

These are all great trail building discussions that we can use a lot of different places.

Go up to a landing somewhere, and look for the old cable from logging, usually it's 1" or 1.25" from what I see around here...take a section of that and wrap the block and use 4 or 5 cable clamps to put it together, then drop the block into the hole and bury it, walla, winch point!!...I doubt any one will be breaking 1" cable pulling on it! Plus it would be replaceable fairly easily should it break (again I doubt it...)...Just a thought!

If there's none of this around your area, I know where there's approx 1/4 mile of it running along an old road up here!!!:redneck::haha:

Go up to a landing somewhere, and look for the old cable from logging, usually it's 1" or 1.25" from what I see around here...take a section of that and wrap the block and use 4 or 5 cable clamps to put it together, then drop the block into the hole and bury it, walla, winch point!!...I doubt any one will be breaking 1" cable pulling on it! Plus it would be replaceable fairly easily should it break (again I doubt it...)...Just a thought!

I can get good cable for free. One of our club members works for a crane company and they have TON, literally TONS of cable that is scrap to them yet gold for us.

Since I never got any answer on what time should get there with the excavator Saturday, I guess I will be there around 8:00. There is also a change of plans, I will be getting a 160 not a 120!:awesomework:

Since I never got any answer on what time should get there with the excavator Saturday, I guess I will be there around 8:00. There is also a change of plans, I will be getting a 160 not a 120!:awesomework:

I will be camping Friday night so if you see a red and white 1st gen Dodge with a tent on it's trailer, wake me up.