• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elbe

Gibby said:
About that map... JR and I were out with Nancy Barker of the DNR last Saturday, working getting GPS waypoints on the map. We found that it wasn't quite as accurate as we'd like. Way better than it anything else out there... To make things more interesting the there's one or two spots where the trails were mismarked on the ground! We're going to be working improving the map. Originally we planned a mass printing but I don't think we're going to go that route for a while. My server's moving in a week and I'll try to get the new linky up everywhere that I can find it. It'll be hosted on the faithwheelers webserver and that will be the master as we upgrade waypoints, trail info etc. over the next year or so.

Beginning of sunrise trail right across from the campgrounds could use a diamond too.

100' in or so there is now a ~4' near verticle wall of mud/dirt you have to climb. Until someone steps up and says they have driven up it, in it's current condition, I'll call that one a required winch. Even for a rig detrioted front and rear with brand new 38"SX tires.

I was told I did do a good wheelie in my final attempt.

Travis said:
Beginning of sunrise trail right across from the campgrounds could use a diamond too.

100' in or so there is now a ~4' near verticle wall of mud/dirt you have to climb. Until someone steps up and says they have driven up it, in it's current condition, I'll call that one a required winch. Even for a rig detrioted front and rear with brand new 38"SX tires.

I was told I did do a good wheelie in my final attempt.

That's the spot we were working on. We repaired a water bar above it to help reduce additional deterioration. If it wasn't for the mud flowing down the road and into the wetlands across the road... I tried to convice the DNR lady to leave it as a wall. If you can't make it by, you can't get in, but since there was already a user made bypass that wasn't going to fly. The plan is to use the blow down and make a log bridge over that. I'm working on her approving a parallel log bridge built to handle all wheel bases but she's afraid of someone falling off it. Basically you'd just flop and have to get yourself out. I won't give up on that idea until we're actually building the bridge.

There's a second similar problem at the OTHER end of Sunrise that's as bad or worse (or good depending on how you look at it).

Travis said:

You wanna hear something STOOPID? The DNR has banned the use of all the diamonds. They aren't requiring that the existing one's be taken down but no more go up. They want to use the floppy white plastic markers like you have on the side of a highway and put them along the trails... Instead of trail markers, they want them knows as "reassurance markers". How stupid is that. Now the trails will REALLY look like a highway.