• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric fan/cooling question

PHILLBILLY1

Went out today and spun the tires in the mud for a little bit. All was good, till after we were done playin, it got pretty hot. It was spittin coolant out of the overflow tank pretty good. I cooled it down and topped of the coolant, and everything seems fine. First time it has ever shown any sign of this.

I did notice that the electric fan is on the outside of the radiator and it is setup as a draw-through. Just curious, should it be reversed so the fan is blowing air through the radiator or maybe I need a bigger fan???

It has a huge aluminum radiator in it too. Looks pretty spendy.

Also, the radiator was and is free and clear of any debris. Nothing is in front of the grill blocking any airflow. The fan comes on when the key is turned on and shuts off when the key is off.

Any help is very appreciated:beer:

If it is on the outside it should be a pusher.

Awesome.:awesomework: I reversed the polarity tonight, but haven't tested it out to see if it keeps it cool. I am no expert at it, but I figured logically, it should be a pusher, beings how driving forward only counteracts what the fan was trying to do.

Strange that it is wired wrong, and never coused a problem till now. For the record My Jeep has a pusher on the outside, but if you put your hand near it it kind of feels like it is getting blown on.

It can be deceiving.

Strange that it is wired wrong, and never coused a problem till now. For the record My Jeep has a pusher on the outside, but if you put your hand near it it kind of feels like it is getting blown on.

It can be deceiving.

I don't understand why they wired it that way. It does look as though it has been ****ed with since it was put in initially. There were 2 different spots that they used butt connectors. I went ahead and ran new wiring too.

I had a plastic bag I put in front of it. With the way it was setup up before, the bag would blow off the bumper. After I reversed it, it sucked it towards the fan. Although it was very clear to me which direction the air was moving without the bag, the bag did confirm it for me.:awesomework:

If there on the outside they should be pushers but you noticed that all ready im running two fans out of a 80ish toyota car i wired them to a toggle switch so they will run until i shut them off i have never had a problem with my 454 getting to hot

If there on the outside they should be pushers but you noticed that all ready im running two fans out of a 80ish toyota car i wired them to a toggle switch so they will run until i shut them off i have never had a problem with my 454 getting to hot

That's good to hear:awesomework: This Engine has had alot of money thrown at it, and it would be a shame to have it go to **** over something as simple as keeping it cooled. I am also going with the dual fans to be on the safe side. :;

Also, it is using the factory Temp. gauge, and I am not cerain it is accurate. Sometimes when it is cold, it will show that the engine is warm. When it was over heating, it said the engine was at a safe level.:eeek: I am going to get an aftermarket Temp. gauge as well.

Last edited:
If you decide to run your fans on a thermostate it's still a good idea to have a toggle to shut them off when you go into deep water. An electric fan can pop its fuse struggling to turn underwater, and a puller fan can flex into the radiator, and tear it up. Wire your toggle to a buzzer, so you remember to turn it back on when you get out of the deep water.

I went with a after market gauge on mine and it works well i just wait for it it worm up then turn on the fans im running a low speed and a high speed fan tied together so they work at the same time. If it gets hot i just let the fans run for a while after the engine is shut off.