• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Enclosed trailers - need input

ROKRIG

425KRAWLERZ
I was thinking about buying an open deck car trailer but when I started looking at the enclosed trailers, I became quite interested in them due to their versatility and weather protection.

I called Olympic Trailers in Olympia as they had a ton of ads on Craigslist. For an 18 foot enclosed trailer w/ tandem 3500lb axles, ramp door, electric brakes, I-beam frame and 15" wheels, they wanted around $4900. This was a CargoMate trailer.

I was also looking online at the Wells Cargo trailers but it's my understanding that they have to be trucked over from the east coast which adds another $500-600.

Does anyone have any advice as to what specifically to be looking for, best trailer brand, pricing?

Terry

I deal with both on a day to day basis. The wells cargo is a little better but its really hard to see unless you have both side to side. Its hard to beat the olympic trailers though. Some come with or with out accessories, but most guys bring them to me to add batteries, lights, switches, flush mount d rings ext.

A bunch if my friends got some olympic flatbeds for there wheelers. They seem to hold up well.

Good luck with the purchase.

Why would you waste your time with such light axles? By the time a wheeler and camping gear are loaded you are running close to capacity and those small spindles and bearings don't like it.

My buggy is only 2800 lbs dry. I would probably only carry (2) 5 gallon jugs of extra gas, a spare trailer wheel/tire and spare buggy tire/wheel.

Looks like w/ dual 3500 axles, the payload is about 4000 lbs.

I'm primarily wondering if there are other brands besides Cargo Mate that I should be looking at, where are they located, reasonable price range,etc.

Thank you

Terry

Toyhauler :awesomework: Dual purpose...

It's my understanding that Toyhaulers aren't typically built to accomodate several thousand pounds in the 'garage' section unless the trailer is friggin' huge

My buggy is only 2800 lbs dry. I would probably only carry (2) 5 gallon jugs of extra gas, a spare trailer wheel/tire and spare buggy tire/wheel.

Looks like w/ dual 3500 axles, the payload is about 4000 lbs.

I'm primarily wondering if there are other brands besides Cargo Mate that I should be looking at, where are they located, reasonable price range,etc.

Thank you

Terry

At least step up to 5200# axles. I can't imagine it would cost more than a couple hundred $$ and you get bigger brakes, bigger bearings and usually better tires.

It's my understanding that Toyhaulers aren't typically built to accomodate several thousand pounds in the 'garage' section unless the trailer is friggin' huge

Terry, I have friends that own toy haulers and we haul 4000k in the back with no problem. I would regimens a 30 ft with triple axles and no garage. Garage units only have 12 to 14ft of cargo room. My 00.2:awesomework:

Get a Wells Cargo. Its worth the extra loot.

My roomate worked at freeway trailer for years and was always bitchin about fixin cheap enclosed trailers.

When the wiring fails and its all hidden and crappy you will wish you had a real Wells cargo.

When the brakes go to **** cuz the cheap trailer used no name backing plates and axles you will wish you had the real Dexter axles from a Wells Cargo.

When the shitty no name china wheel bearings fail, you will wish you had a Wells Cargo.

When the crappy carlisle tires blow out you will wish you had a wells cargo.

When the no name tongue jack fails and is very hard to turn even when greased, you will wish you had a wells cargo.

When the flimsy loading ramp splits off all its trim from flexing/breaking you will wish you had a wells cargo.

When the roof leaks, you will wish you had the one piece roof on the wells cargo.

Terry, you are not the kind to cheap out on something just to save a couple bucks and get stuck with crap.

I never understood why the guys that have the nicest no expense spared, massive baddass and bling rigs always start a "whats the cheapest crappy trailer I can get" thread.

Get the good stuff and ask lots of questions.

Remember my trailer? The **** for sale is all just crap these days. Thats why mine got built by me.

Ya make sure u get a trailer with dexter producct. Pretty much listen to Brad. He's 100% right on that aspect. I didn't know they weren't using dexter products. We mainly see them for electrical or accessories. Cheap chinese axles, bearings, brakes and couplers are weak. But IMO all there wiring is junk.

Do you guys take your toy haulers Offroad?

Hey terry the guy who rents a lot from me sells car trailers he has a nice enclosed that has been sitting for awhile give me a call.

My trailer for the buggy is from Alan the guy that is Big foot trailers...i love mine had no probllems with it yet!!!:awesomework::beer:

America no longer produces trailer bearings. If you can find the ones made in Germany or Japan they are the best. Most trailer bearings are made in China now, even Timken. I went to Freeway Trailer in Fife for a spare set of trailer bearings and all they had were Chinese.

Try to find a place that rents them or try and set up a test drive with your buggy on board , I fear pulling with your suv is going to bring the suck.
I hauled a 20 footer to cali with a big block van and it was a work out.

America no longer produces trailer bearings. If you can find the ones made in Germany or Japan they are the best. Most trailer bearings are made in China now, even Timken. I went to Freeway Trailer in Fife for a spare set of trailer bearings and all they had were Chinese.

Hit up McGuire bearing in Tacoma Mike, they will have the goods for cheaper.

Timken does still make us bearings its just that you and I wont get them. I see them all the time in the scrap on base. The US military wont use foreign suppliers. Im sure timken bills them heavily for it too.

The only advice I'll give on enclosed trailers: if you can special order the trailer, then order it with oversized axles. If you think you will need 7000# axles, then get the 10000#, and if you think you need 10000#, then get 140000#.

F*ck! The Wells Cargo trailers are DAMN expensive

And there is a reason for that. If you pull yjr trailer a couple times a year then go cheap. But if you pull it all of the time, then spend the $

You will be thankfull way after it is paid for, or regret the other before it is even paid for

It is all about how much you are going to use it

Latest posts