• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Engine options: 3RZ, 7M or 5VZ

5VZ > 3.slow
Easier swap if your already got a v6 is my understanding.:cheer:

Definitely I did a 3.0 to 3.4 swap in my 91 and have no complaints more power, reliability and performance options trd supercharger urd 7th injector kit :cheer:

7M'S are fine of you fix them right. MLS head gasket, 80 lbs on the head bolts, and make sure the bearings are good, and that they're flat and smooth.
downside...... they are ****in heavy.
upside...... they're cheap. until you have to rebuild them. And they're simple.
jz engines blow head gaskets too. just not as bad/often. and they're way more money than the 7m.
the I-6 does NOT fit well into the trucks though.
way easier to go with another I4 or a v6.

I beg to differ, but I'm biased against them because I've been bit in the ass by so many of them. They're getting more expensive, because they're getting harder to find without a window built into them.

JZs are not notorious for blowing headgaskets, but nothing is invincible to neglect. 7Ms are set to blow from the factory :p Non-VVTi 2J swaps are getting dirty cheap, though! I've seen more than a few go for ~500, full swaps harness, ECU, etc.

But none of this matters, because I totally agree with you that straight 6s don't fit or belong in our trucks :beer:

I beg to differ, but I'm biased against them because I've been bit in the ass by so many of them. They're getting more expensive, because they're getting harder to find without a window built into them.

JZs are not notorious for blowing headgaskets, but nothing is invincible to neglect. 7Ms are set to blow from the factory :p Non-VVTi 2J swaps are getting dirty cheap, though! I've seen more than a few go for ~500, full swaps harness, ECU, etc.

But none of this matters, because I totally agree with you that straight 6s don't fit or belong in our trucks :beer:

Beg to differ all you like, doesn't change the fact that a MLS head gasket and 80 lbs on the bolt fixes the head gasket issue. IF the head and block are flat.
They ARE getting harder to find, yes. Neglect has taken it's toll over the years, along with people that don't know what the hell they're doing "fixing" them.

I've done numerous head gaskets on JZ engines as well. Mainly the older ones with the composite head gasket, JUST LIKE THE 7M. Supras are getting to be hen's teeth these days, so I don't see many any more.
For 500 bucks for a 2jzgte, i'd pick that over a 7m ANYWAY, though.
I have NOT seen any at that kind of deal, or I'd have already bought one :)

After driving my chevy work truck with the 4.8 for almost a year now, I can see going v8 on a swap. Damn near 300hp in a regular cab 2wd with zero weight in it can be a little dicey when it's wet out! :cool:

After driving my chevy work truck with the 4.8 for almost a year now, I can see going v8 on a swap. Damn near 300hp in a regular cab 2wd with zero weight in it can be a little dicey when it's wet out! :cool:

So can 112 HP in a lightweight rwd car with shitty tires. AKA, ae86 :)

Latest posts