• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Engine options: 3RZ, 7M or 5VZ

rover18

Ever since I got my rig back in June I have been researching and seeking the strongest way to build it. I am going to college, so funds are very tight, but I want to do it right the first time. Anyways, my rig is an 85 Toyota 4x4 pickup with a 22re. My plan is to build the entire rig and then do an engine swap, but I like to know what's ahead of me.

The plan right now is to do dual cases (2.28 first case, 4.7 w/twin stick rear), 4.88's or 5.29's, a 90 V6 rear, longfields and HP ARB in front, H1 double beadlocks, and 38" TSL's later switching to 39.5" iroks.

I've researched a bit, but most of what I've found has been on newer rigs, stuff with a 3.0 v6. I'm considering the 2.7 3RZ, 3.0 7m and the 3.4 5VZ. Anybody do these to a second gen and be satisfied? I'm looking for power, ease of installation and cheap as it can be and as strong as it can be.

Thanks ahead of time.

IMO the RZ is your best bet if you must have more than an RE, 7m's are a bitch to cool and are known for head gasket problems, and the 3.4 is a bit more expensive swap than an RZ.

Ever since I got my rig back in June I have been researching and seeking the strongest way to build it. I am going to college, so funds are very tight, but I want to do it right the first time. Anyways, my rig is an 85 Toyota 4x4 pickup with a 22re. My plan is to build the entire rig and then do an engine swap, but I like to know what's ahead of me.

The plan right now is to do dual cases (2.28 first case, 4.7 w/twin stick rear), 4.88's or 5.29's, a 90 V6 rear, longfields and HP ARB in front, H1 double beadlocks, and 38" TSL's later switching to 39.5" iroks.

I've researched a bit, but most of what I've found has been on newer rigs, stuff with a 3.0 v6. I'm considering the 2.7 3RZ, 3.0 7m and the 3.4 5VZ. Anybody do these to a second gen and be satisfied? I'm looking for power, ease of installation and cheap as it can be and as strong as it can be.

Thanks ahead of time.

I think 4.3 says it all

Personally I would stay with the 22re

It's culture shock to me coming from Cressidas to trucks, as I'm not used to anyone mentioning a 7M as an option at all. Quite possibly one of Toyota's biggest **** ups, comparable to the 3.0 V6.

If you want to do an inline 6, look into a 2JZGE. Cheap, reliable, and will take anything you throw at it, even boost ;)

But it'd be foolish to pull a perfectly good 22RE! Unless it ended up in my garage, of course.

7M'S are fine of you fix them right. MLS head gasket, 80 lbs on the head bolts, and make sure the bearings are good, and that they're flat and smooth.
downside...... they are ****in heavy.
upside...... they're cheap. until you have to rebuild them. And they're simple.
jz engines blow head gaskets too. just not as bad/often. and they're way more money than the 7m.
the I-6 does NOT fit well into the trucks though.
way easier to go with another I4 or a v6.

If it was me I would ditch the Toy stuff and go with a 4.3 chev engine. It will fit in there nicely, power up well, cheaper, and in the end the truck will be worth more. While your at it might as well toss in a chev automatic, and dana 300. Sell your stock drivetrain and upgrade. Been there done that.:;

**** that. Pushrods are Ghey

I guess when your crap breaks in the woods you can have a non push rod motor come pull you ass out :haha:

I guess chevy was stupid for even staying with something that has a proven history for , how many years :corn::stirpot:

I guess when your crap breaks in the woods you can have a non push rod motor come pull you ass out :haha:

I guess chevy was stupid for even staying with something that has a proven history for , how many years :corn::stirpot:

Oh don't get all butt hurt.
I forgot the "lol", sorry.

My junk hasn't broken, nor have I been pulled more than a few feet, and not by anything with pushrods that I can remember.
Chevy's use of pushrods isn't because It's so great, sorry to tell you.

It does work, and they've had a million years to make it better.

Doesn't mean I have to like it or use it. :)

You know why the newer vettes don't have dohc engines like the old zr1?

Hey, if you want to run a shitty unreliable motor...buy a Yeep! Otherwise pick one of the excellent offerings Toyota has to offer.:fawkdancesmiley:
2RZ/3RZ for 4cyl or 5VZ for 3.slow:hi:

Oh don't get all butt hurt.
I forgot the "lol", sorry.

My junk hasn't broken, nor have I been pulled more than a few feet, and not by anything with pushrods that I can remember.
Chevy's use of pushrods isn't because It's so great, sorry to tell you.

It does work, and they've had a million years to make it better.

Doesn't mean I have to like it or use it. :)

You know why the newer vettes don't have dohc engines like the old zr1?

Wow
throw a pebble his way and comes back with AK :haha::hi: I just don't feel the love:eeek: :beer:

Nowires (Charlie, right?) no AK here.

Crash probly knows why the vettes have pushrods.