• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

engine radiator w/integrated trans cooler used for PS instead...

BUILTnotBOT

The radiator I bought for my 6cyl Wrangler (with an np435 MANUAL TRANS) came equipped with automatic trans fittings on the bottom for cooling.

What im wondering is would it be a bad idea to run my powersteering lines into these fittings to help keep the hydro assist cool? I do have an exisiting cooler on my steering setup but I like the idea of doing away with another thing hanging off my radiator....

IDK the working temps of power steering lines but i use the same fluid as an auto trans, ATF+4, for my pump and untill I installed a small cooler on my assist setup the fluid would heat up and puke like nobodys business...

The biggest downside that i can see is should the PS fluid or Coolant get too hot I run the risk of losing BOTH rather than just one. But automatic transmission setups (ideally what a radiator like this is made for) run that risk everyday. It seems like it really comes down to the working temp of the PS fluid.

ANYWAYS....

Has anyone done this before? What do you think about longevity of a setup like this?

Any advice or help is much appreciated:beer:

reading up on pirate and other forums through google alot of nay sayers towards the idea... seperate cooler seems the go to.... seemed like a good idea though

I wouldn't. The reason behind it is the fact you are now pre-heating the temp of the p/s fluid. You have to remember there will be radiant heat exchanged between the coolant and p/s fluid. The big reason for having the trans fluid with the rad is to help give the trans fluid some heat because you can easily kill a trans by too cold like you can too hot.

The big reason for having the trans fluid with the rad is to help give the trans fluid some heat because you can easily kill a trans by too cold like you can too hot.

great point

Spent the last few hours reading about guys who have done this mod and them saying the overheating problem still existed with their hydroassist setup. The whole setup is buttoned back togethor and the seperate cooler for the PS is being used still. It was a good pipe dream though....

thanks for the help guys. :beer::beer:

if you need a really BIG cooler, grab the trans cooler off a 6.0 liter powerstroke ford. they are MASSIVE. The V-10 ford superduty trans coolers are no slouches either. Lots of guys with the older 7.3 motors upgrade to the V-10 and 6.0 coolers, but even the 7.3 cooler I would think would be big enough for a power steering setup. They all have mounting ears, so shouldnt be too hard to fit somewhere.

the cooler i have currently isnt anything special. seriously probably 4"x6" and has done awesome keepin the fluid under control.

Was just thinking of what might be a great idea... thank god for sites like pirate, was quick to find out i wasnt the only one :haha:

the cooler i have currently isnt anything special. seriously probably 4"x6" and has done awesome keepin the fluid under control

actually, thats about the size of the power steering cooler on the superduties also, and they are a hydroboost setup, so running brakes and steering. Guess it doesnt take much!