• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ever check the torque on your toy steering arms studs?

Tankota

I do and good thing cause I just noticed my PASSENGER stock toy steering arm is cracked almost in half!
Crack runs from the edge to the outer front stud and to the inner front stud. It is 2/3 of the way to completely snapping off the whole front of the arm!:eek:mg:

Ever seen this before on the passenger side arm?
I don't even have ram assist:wtf:

i check mine every time out!!!!! in the last couple of months i have broken all 4 right off(2x) now i carry extras. both times the bearing got messed up and now my birfield got ate up by the chunks in there(missed some) when i had to fix it on the trail and then drive home.
if your not in the habit its a good one to always check the steering components after wheelin especialy if you have to drive it(most of us do)

It's a Toyota thing, I wouldn't understand! :flipoff: :kissmyass:

But I did notice one of my GM 1 Ton TRE's had worked itself a little loose last time out. :mad:

Last year when I started torquing the studs on the other knuckle one broke off...the rest of it came out easy with an EZ-out fortunately. The studs are usually loose a little.

Crash, If I ever swap to the highsteer stuff I'll put that fifth stud on there. However, in this situation the crack is across the arm right where the front two studs are. The neither the two back studs nor the fifth stud on the side wouldn't have helped here (highsteer arms would though...hence the fifth stud suggestion).

At this point it appears that no one has broken an arm in this particular spot...

crash said:
One term "5th stud" :;

were does one apply this 5th stud (exuse my retardation) im plannin on drivin my hy-steer on the street, dont wanna have to torque my studs every day. :D

MarcW said:
were does one apply this 5th stud (exuse my retardation) im plannin on drivin my hy-steer on the street, dont wanna have to torque my studs every day. :D

On the side on top of the knuckle. You can basically weld a "tab" on the arm and drill and tap the top of the knuckle for an additional stud. Gotta have weldable high steer arms though. The stock arms are not weld friendly as they are cast.

I checked mine last Saturday, still tight. If those over kill arms Crash made me ever crack I will be amazed.

Another thing to check is the studs them selves..Gotta be tottaly bottomed out in the knuckle..

I run Marlin High steer with ARP studs and check them every day of wheelin. If wheeling for more then one day in a row I check them the next morning. I can usually get a 16th of a turn on at least one stud. I torgue them to 100 ft lbs. Had afew strip out when torqueing them down so I heli coiled them and no problems since. Would like ot go to the 6 stud setup when it ever comes out.

Its a toyota so you have to keep up on it daily.:flipoff:

MarcW said:
You don't really need to check them everyday for street driving...pretty much just before and after a wheeling trip (or every day on a multiple day outing) where you are applying alot of stress to the arms/studs.

Tankota said:
The stock arms are not weld friendly as they are cast.

They are cast, but they are cast steel.....which can be welded.:; I rosebud welded my stock studs into the bottom of the knuckles and have never had a problem with them since.:beer:

Pics are on the broken arm thread that I started.

Pics of the fifth stud...don't have any but I've seen em in person on MarkMs rig. Thought there was a pic on (dare I say the evil name?:D ) SNORT! :flipoff: