• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Excelent article by Jakob

Its a nice article and well written but it fails to address the real issues and problems that plague us and the DNR. The dept of fish and wildlife is the biggest issue their rules and regulations tie the hands of the DNR and user groups. The epa is another thorn in our side as are the tribes. What about funding ? How would all of this be funded ? It may sound great to have volunteers manage everything but in reality its can't happen. The DNR simply cant allow things in their care to be un-manged by them and that has to be paid for as well as issues like SEPA and NEPA. We have already lost most of our NOVA monies due to the greedy green groups with their lawyers that they can afford. This session alone there were almost 7 million in grant requests for orvs with us getting only about 2million of the approximately 8 million in the nova acct. Time and money would be better spent trying to reverse the decision that taped the nova acct. As it is the DNR and USFS can't even afford to take care of what we have so how can they even begin to take on more ?

Just my 2 cents

Its a nice article and well written but it fails to address the real issues and problems that plague us and the DNR. The dept of fish and wildlife is the biggest issue their rules and regulations tie the hands of the DNR and user groups. The epa is another thorn in our side as are the tribes. What about funding ? How would all of this be funded ? It may sound great to have volunteers manage everything but in reality its can't happen. The DNR simply cant allow things in their care to be un-manged by them and that has to be paid for as well as issues like SEPA and NEPA. We have already lost most of our NOVA monies due to the greedy green groups with their lawyers that they can afford. This session alone there were almost 7 million in grant requests for orvs with us getting only about 2million of the approximately 8 million in the nova acct. Time and money would be better spent trying to reverse the decision that taped the nova acct. As it is the DNR and USFS can't even afford to take care of what we have so how can they even begin to take on more ?

Just my 2 cents

What is funny, and sad, is I have yet to find data from the dept of ecology that proves rivers near ORV parks and "old Reiter" had a measurable turbidity change during the heavy times of use, in fact they have remained pretty constant for the last 20 years. So why the regulations. If we didn't have the regulations, they wouldn't have to spend as much money patrolling the areas in use, if what Jacob said became reality.

What is funny, and sad, is I have yet to find data from the dept of ecology that proves rivers near ORV parks and "old Reiter" had a measurable turbidity change during the heavy times of use, in fact they have remained pretty constant for the last 20 years. So why the regulations. If we didn't have the regulations, they wouldn't have to spend as much money patrolling the areas in use, if what Jacob said became reality.

Key word is "potential'(to do harm) and I agree its sad ad well as abused. Special fish before people. :eeek:

Government is not going to give up control. DNR, USFS, DFW, will not want to give up their control of the public's land to the public. They think that they know what's best for the public and how it's best to limit as much as possible the use of public land. Keep building your trails. Working with these government agencies only slows the closure of our land.

Yeah I always knew they do stuff like that. It is just irritating how the facts are there, but they spin them around and turn them into a bunch of false justifications to control the land.

Jim you're missing the point. The point I'm trying to make is that people are ALREADY making their own trails. And I'm not talking about making old Reiter again. Reiter is an example of user-built trails getting contained into one place, getting out of control.

What I'm talking about are the plethora of small trail systems user groups have built, and putting them around some type of more simple framework. If the trail system gets to a level that requires a full rec plan, then so be it. But many of our trails are frequented by only a few user groups and don't need the level of insight DNR is currently mandating.

Jim you're missing the point. The point I'm trying to make is that people are ALREADY making their own trails. And I'm not talking about making old Reiter again. Reiter is an example of user-built trails getting contained into one place, getting out of control.

What I'm talking about are the plethora of small trail systems user groups have built, and putting them around some type of more simple framework. If the trail system gets to a level that requires a full rec plan, then so be it. But many of our trails are frequented by only a few user groups and don't need the level of insight DNR is currently mandating.

For the same reasons as to why they didn't allow any of the user built trails at Reiter to remain or any of the trails in the Northfork. Their not allowed to have anything that they are not able to manage. Don't get me wrong I wish you well but from working with the "system" for many years I just don't see it happening. Their simply not going to allow use that they cant manage and they can barely get by now.