• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Exhaust wrap ?????

nealcj8

I am getting alot of heat up in my buggy. I was wondering if it would help to wrap my exhaust or would it just keep my motor from cooling off??

I've had two vehicles with fully wrapped exhaust from the header and manifold back it helps tremendously! My next one will be wrapped also keeps heat down and you can run lines and hoses a lot closer without heat transfer! I believe it keeps fluid from catching on fire should something leak on the exhaust! My last buggy would puke powersteering fluid on the header if it was over full and I used it a lot it would simply smoke till it burned off never caught fire and it did it several times!

I wrapped the exhaust on my old Toyota buggy from manifold to just past the seat.

There is no floor or heat shield between the seat and exhaust, so before the wrap it was like an instant peanut boil in the seat. After wrap you could lay your hand on the exhaust

Re: Re: Re: Exhaust wrap ?????

TBItoy said:
I wrapped the exhaust on my old Toyota buggy from manifold to just past the seat.

There is no floor or heat shield between the seat and exhaust, so before the wrap it was like an instant peanut boil in the seat. After wrap you could lay your hand on the exhaust

Thank you for this, my buggy's muffler is directly under the driver floor pan/seat so I definitely need to do this, it keeps melting the bed liner :( dammit

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Just pull a Jimmy Howell and dump the exhaust out of the passenger side fender area A) to keep heat out and B) to kill the bugs on that side. Run dual exhaust and kill bugs on both side of the trails.

Exhaust wrap will substantially reduce heat around the are it is used. On my headers you can literally grab the tubes when it is running without being burnt and it significantly improved the amount of head in that general vicinity. I've used it on several rigs in strategic places in the past. The trade off is that the heat stays in the exhaust system and the tubes rust faster since the material holds moisture. But for rigs that get rebuild every few years anyway likes so any of ours do it doesn't matter.

As far as floor panels go, must mufflers are directly beneath my driver floor panel. I used tread tape on it and it got so hot that it melted the tread tape off. I put this stuff on the underside of the panel:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-050501

Problem solved. Its amazing how well this insulates. I will use it more on other stuff in the future, like the back of my fuel cell where the radiator blows on it, etc. Its expensive, but once you see how well it works you will think its money well spent.

If I may highjack this thread for a bit, I have a question as well.
Does wrapping the headers/exhaust make the rig safer? We have all seen a fire or two when oil hits a hot header. Would you think the wrap would absorb the oil? Even if it did I think it would give a smoke signal and a little more time to grab the extinguisher.
I'm am building a rear engine buggy and the though of the fire being behind me out of sight is scary.

I regularly douse my headers in steering fluid and fuel because it seems like I am always having issues or modifying those systems. They smoke for fricking ever but they don't catch on fire.

Thanks for all of the replys I have been having some steering issues and my lines run down my upper links and they run right by my exhaust so wrap might help that along with my ass being on fire from the muffler being directly under my seat

Re: Re: Exhaust wrap ?????

There is some real badass silicone backed heat wrap that I've seen on heavy equipment, it's real expensive compared to the normal header wrap tho

I work as a mechanic of the CAT dealer here in Birmingham. We use that silicone cover fiberglass wrap on the hoses of machine that work in steel mills. That style wrap is very very good. I have been using a torch near some of that stuff, even under direct flame it just chares (spell?) and will not ignite. I use is to cover my fuel and steering lines in my Jeep. The way it is in a tubular form it would have to be installed on each tube prior to welding.
Very good stuff for steering,trans and fuel lines for sure.

nealcj8 said:
Thanks for all of the replys I have been having some steering issues and my lines run down my upper links and they run right by my exhaust so wrap might help that along with my ass being on fire from the muffler being directly under my seat
My cooler lines where also wrapped where they were close to the exhaust!

al1tonyota said:
My cooler lines where also wrapped where they were close to the exhaust!

I used some leftover header wrap to wrap some fuel lines that were remotely near the exhaust also.

Rockwells607 said:
Just wrapped the 180* headers on buck nasty buggy I built and it makes a huge difference
I have 180* headers and they get hot would like to see pics of those headers wrapped if you have any. Thanks.

DUNCAN74 said:
I have 180* headers and they get hot would like to see pics of those headers wrapped if you have any. Thanks.
Start at the flange and wrap each pipe then transition into the multiple pipes you will probably have to try a couple times to get them tight and neat looking!

Another thing I should share is the wrap will only last a year maybe two depending on how much it sits in sunlight and how many times you hit it with a pressure washer!

Re:

Soak the wrap in water before applying like the instructions say. that way it contacts as it dries and gets tight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Re:

patooyee said:
Soak the wrap in water before applying like the instructions say. that way it contacts as it dries and gets tight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Instructions??? What you talkin bout? :gtfo: