• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep 4.0 exhaust leak

sexxy

Got a 98 tj 4.0 with exhaust leak. I have repaired a leak in the lower "Y" collector and have acquired another leak that I cannot find. The current leak and is not at any of the 3 "Y" collectors. Exhaust is 3 into 1 collector x2 and a 2 in 1. First leak was at the 2-1 in the middle, was able to weld it back. Found a tiny leak at the front 3-1 collector and filled it with "quick steel" but still have another leak. I know I will have to remove the manifold to fix it now. Whats the best way to fix it so I dont have to tear it down again? If you are recommending a new manifold which one holds up best. Not looking for performance just durability.

How about get it pulled off and figure out what the problem is before trying to come up with replacements. The 4.0's had a problem with cracking manifolds and/or just leaks in general. My 2.5 YJ developed a crack in the manifold that I was able to weld up...of course that requires a little more than just welding it to do it "correctly".

There are several aftermarket manifolds and headers out there now to correct the cracking manifold issues... you can weld them up but they'll just crack again later and IIRC the replacement ones are less than 200 bucks

Cracksrubi said:
4.0 intakes are notorious for backing off at the head try checking there also

Didnt think about checking there, will check it out first thing tomorrow.

Re:

I use an eBay stainless steel header on my 4.0 and has held up fine for 2 years. I put it on there after chasing cracks in the original manifold with a welder for a while. I'm sure it is hit or miss with the Chinese headers, but I have been happy with mine.

Bolts were still tight. Are the gasket known to blow out at the head?

Latest posts