• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

F250 Powerstroke ?'s

NotSoPC

I am in a spot to buy a 97 F250 X-cab Powerstroke 4x4 longbed from a buddie of mine. He is putting the moter back to gether after a rebuild and all that is left is the heads but he has all that is needed to put them on. Its an auto but only 1500 on it sense rebuild. It ran fine when he tore it down but had 237K on it. I would have to put the heads on but thats easy stuff. He wants 4K for the truck and willing to take payments (good thing as I dont have that kind of cash). What do you guys think? Should I jump on it? Am I dumb for even asking? I still have my ranger that I am making payments on that I need to sell so it would be tight paying for both.

Sounds like somebody elses problem you'd be taking on....... Too much if you ask me for a non runner that you have to put back together...

If you're sure the rebuild is good and not half assed then maybe, but I still think it's too much...To do a proper rebuild on one including injectors is in the 5-6k + range.... i'm curious why a rebuild at 237K..mine has 220K and still runs like a top.

Last edited:
I also have to ask why the rebuild??? Mine's also a 97 PSD....140K and still going strong...Rebuilds for the 7.3L that are complete turn-keys are more like $6K to 7K, depending where you get it.... IF and ONLY IF you trust your buddy that tore it down would I even consider it...but yeah that's quite a bit of dough for a non-runner. Did he mention WHY he tore it down???

Buddy or friend. Buddies are more likely to **** you (edit: over :haha:), friends are less likely too IMO.

Last edited:
I've seen those trucks go for that being reasonably clean runners, if I were you, I'd keep looking or beat him way down from that price.

Sounds like somebody elses problem you'd be taking on....... Too much if you ask me for a non runner that you have to put back together...

If you're sure the rebuild is good and not half assed then maybe, but I still think it's too much...To do a proper rebuild on one including injectors is in the 5-6k + range.... i'm curious why a rebuild at 237K..mine has 220K and still runs like a top.

He tore it down cause he got another truck to drive (04 6.0 crew) and was going to sell the 7.3 to a family member who was going to drive it to Alaska and does not know cars. It ran like a top (I have rode in it a few times) when torn down. He went to school for this type of thing and IS good at it, I do trust him.

Buddy or friend. Buddies are more likely to **** you (edit: over :haha:), friends are less likely too IMO.

I have known him for years he is a good friend of mine. We grew up together. :awesomework:

you can find a good runner with that mileage or less for that price, tell him to finish the job then you'll consider:awesomework:

you can find a good runner with that mileage or less for that price, tell him to finish the job then you'll consider:awesomework:

one issue I have is it would have to be at a dealer so I could make payments. I also dont want anything older then 97 in the powerstroke flavor. I also just talked to him just a few minutes ago he is going to finish it.

Some more details are; 6 in lift, 35" toyos with 4k miles on them, comes with edge programmer, keyless entry/start, and alarm.

Last edited:
well the 95-97 strokers are bout the same, 95 was somewhat of a split year if i recall correctly, besides any 7.3 would be better than an 03 and up with a 6.0. supprised your buddie hasnt had any problems with the 6.0 those things are:rb:

well the 95-97 strokers are bout the same, 95 was somewhat of a split year if i recall correctly, besides any 7.3 would be better than an 03 and up with a 6.0. supprised your buddie hasnt had any problems with the 6.0 those things are:rb:

I like the 97+ cause of the higher nickle content in the block. He has no issues yet with the 6.0 but it was also replaced by the dealer just before he got it. Its a nice truck for sure.

I like the 97+ cause of the higher nickle content in the block. He has no issues yet with the 6.0 but it was also replaced by the dealer just before he got it. Its a nice truck for sure.

The 6.0's can be made a reliable powerplant, but it just costs a bundle to get it that way....

The 6.0's can be made a reliable powerplant, but it just costs a bundle to get it that way....

I never really liked the 6.0 much. As far as the powerstroke I still like the 7.3 the best.

While talking to him today we came to the point that he will finish the truck and I will make payments to him. I am also going to help him with getting a job with me the best I can (but thats not much). I will also be helping out around his house with stuff he is not all that good with (I built home for living for a while) as part of payment and should have it payed off with in a year easy.

Latest posts