• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fab shops (off road, auto racing etc)

sledneck

So I know there are some big name auto race teams down south that probably have very big budgets but I'm wondering does anyone know if there are any off road or smaller hot shops etc. that offer there employees any kind of decent benefits. Just thinking out loud I guess. I'm pretty much maxed out at my current shop and not even sure I would want to leave this area. I know there are a few guys on here that have some ties to some bigger names in the off road industry that may have a better idea than I do on the ins and outs of the business. I have looked at putting my resume in at Camburg racing 3 or 4 times but cant bring myself to move to Cali. Now if I could go to Colorado etc. that would be a different story. As much as I hate to admit it I'm not a young kid anymore and actually need to make a life sustaining wage.

Are you at an automotive type shop now?

When you start looking at wages/areas, look at cost of living pretty closely too.

~$50k/yr goes a lot farther in semi rural TN/AL than other places.

According to your skill set too. Pretty easy to find a guy that can fab, but can he build diffs, wire, plumb, troubleshoot, run a mill and lathe, etc etc...

TBItoy said:
Are you at an automotive type shop now?

When you start looking at wages/areas, look at cost of living pretty closely too.

~$50k/yr goes a lot farther in semi rural TN/AL than other places.

According to your skill set too. Pretty easy to find a guy that can fab, but can he build diffs, wire, plumb, troubleshoot, run a mill and lathe, etc etc...
By saying it's pretty easy to find a fab guy I'm guessing we are 2 different pages. Sure there are alot of people that are willing to bend tube but fail miserably at the execution. Yes I work at a shop now we build a full line of suspension products more aimed at race cars. We also do a ton of chassis work. Cages, back half's, fuel cells etc. We are start to finish for our suspension stuff. From raw tube right down to powder coat it's all done in house.

Thats a career path for passion not pay checks bro. I am sure you already realize that, just saying. If benefits and stability are your main priorities reality is specialized markets like bouncers and race cars are built off passion and drive. Seems several bigger shops recently are looking for skilled , ready to go fab guys . I wish I was skilled laughing1

Sledneck you in Michigan? I to once thought it would be fun to go work at a off-road shop but after looking around, found nothing local would pay even close to what I make now tigging stainless all day. I do all my off-road stuff out of my home shop but it takes a pretty good investment in equipment. I'm sure this is something you already know

sledneck said:
By saying it's pretty easy to find a fab guy I'm guessing we are 2 different pages. Sure there are alot of people that are willing to bend tube but fail miserably at the execution. Yes I work at a shop now we build a full line of suspension products more aimed at race cars. We also do a ton of chassis work. Cages, back half's, fuel cells etc. We are start to finish for our suspension stuff. From raw tube right down to powder coat it's all done in house.

I kinda went to a different train of thought with the "fab guy", I work at a automation/machine builder. Automation/machine building is a big industry in Cookeville.

We don't do "custom fabrication", so a fab guy in this industry has be be able to build frames and weldments from prints.

In this industry, you can find a "fab guy" that can build tables/frames and weld brackets/mounts relatively square, but finding someone that can do that plus wire/plumb, align/indicate, and properly assembly machines is a rarity.

Latest posts