• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Farming

halcat said:
I have seen young banded calves stand in the field all humped up for days trying to over come "banding". If you cut them when the "signs" are right, they won't even bleed, they will walk right out in the field and eat like nothing has happened. I'm not saying it don't hurt, but if you cut them right, they don't act like it hurts.

That's a good reason. Talked to Dad, he's been cutting them for years apparently. I haven't done much "farming" except working on equipment for him and occasionally working hay in 10 years.

Girlfriend's family has roughly 1200 acres on their deeds in about 3 places throughout the county, not all pasture though...long story short it was a full operating dairy farm at one point. They shut down the dairy farm portion in the late 90's and now just do beef cattle, hay, sometimes soybeans and lease other chunks out to people that do tobacco or to hunt clubs. Her dad works a 40+hr a week outside of that and we are regularly back there (2hrs away) on the weekends to help him out. It is a LOT of work for him to do solo even as a part time/after work gig. I'm regularly running hay to the different pastures, bush hogging for hours on end, fixing equipment or one of his trucks.

With it being a farm that has been in the family for generations, there is **** all over that place that I cannot even begin to list off, but I can say you could probably farm just about anything you wanted with what he owns. Later this winter, once hunting season is over, I am trying to get him to let me grab the tractor and his big gooseneck and consolidate all of his stuff into one of the regularly unused sections of pasture and create a boneyard for him and scrap whatever is beyond repair. All little things to keep the place straight and the scrap money to go toward fixing other equipment/property taxes, etc. During this fall, he kind of had a SHTF moment when 2 of the three tractors were down with pretty extensive repairs.

In regards to overhead and whatnot, its a low buck operation, he only buys fleet trucks from his employer before they go to auction. Most equipment comes from estate sales or other equipment auctions. Usually the stuff that needs a part or two but is sold for pennies on the dollar. He has a 5 bay shop (not fancy at all) with just about everything short of a lift so fixing something is never an issue.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. But I think if you were smart about it and kept everything within your means and needs, you could find a way to make a few bucks off of whatever property you buy.

I already posted but I will throw in another thought. If you don't already own the land, the way that it normally works is you buy it and then work for free for 20 years to let the means of production pay for the land and pay you zero dollars on average on about a three-year swing. Some years you win some years you lose. You need an understanding Banker. At the end of 20 years, however big of a piece of land you bought and work your ass off to pay for you have that much. The problem with that is to get the value out of the land you have to sell the land. At that point you gave so much of your life to get it you would love to pass it on to somebody else but what child is going to want to give a quarter million dollars for a piece of land that he was considered his in the first place. Kind of a funny deal

blacksheep10 said:
I already posted but I will throw in another thought. If you don't already own the land, the way that it normally works is you buy it and then work for free for 20 years to let the means of production pay for the land and pay you zero dollars on average on about a three-year swing. Some years you win some years you lose. You need an understanding Banker. At the end of 20 years, however big of a piece of land you bought and work your ass off to pay for you have that much. The problem with that is to get the value out of the land you have to sell the land. At that point you gave so much of your life to get it you would love to pass it on to somebody else but what child is going to want to give a quarter million dollars for a piece of land that he was considered his in the first place. Kind of a funny deal

That's exactly what the economics of it look like, especially to get a piece of land anywhere near a town (~15 miles) and build a house on it. I could go out in BFE and buy some mountain land, but I don't want to drive an hour to get groceries.

We've had a few cows for as long as I can remember. My grandpa always told me your not going to get rich off a few cows but they will pay the taxes on the farm and help you out in a pinch. We usually keep around 20, I work about 60 acres of hay ground a couple times a year, and bale my own hay. I have a day job too. I'm lucky to still have my 85 yo grandpa to help me rake hay while I'm at work and I bale it when I come home. My dad does that for me as well but still has a day job too. Its something you have to love, its both work and very rewarding at the same time. We are lucky that we had a piece of land that been in the family for over 150 years. I say if you want to do it then do it. Jump in, buy a few acres and start out with 3 or 4 cows. Have a neighbor or someone bale your hay for you. Go ahead and buy a tractor or some sorts, and get used to feeding and takeing care of the animals. Eventually buy a mower and a rake and just have the person custom bale for you. I wouldn't rush into buying a bunch of new equipment however I've learned the hard way if your going to buy a mower, there are two kinds to buy, old work out junk and new. Start small and enjoy it, otherwise it will burn you out real quick.

The best thing about cattle is there is a sale somewhere almost every day out of the week. If you need to sell its not like posting a CL add and waiting for calls. I am self employed (investments) and do not have a 9-5. I got about 40 acres and keep 10-15 cows and a few horses. No way I could afford any of it without another source of income. I like the fact that there is something to do all the time, keeps me from being bored. I have been doing it for a couple years now and love it. Its aggravating at times but love the reward. I would like to have more land but even in the country now there are houses everywhere and no one wants to sell. Def cheaper to buy hay (in NC anyway). If I got hay equipment it would be to have a hobby lol. Also have to think about handling cattle. Cant really expect them to walk on a stock trailer when you have feed in your hand. Granted you can build something but it needs to be safe and easy to use. My GF helps me when I have to load some or work on one. I have over 10k in my sweep system without a squeeze shoot. From an ethical standpoint you need at least a head gate to restrain one for a Vet to work on or when you band/cut bulls.

I lease alot of ground. It would be near impossible to own both the cows and land starting out. There are tons of different ways to get into ranching. If anyone is serious I am more than willing to talk on the phone and help anyone with any questions. Ranching is my living, I also have a bale bed dealership and do the installation s in my shop.

If you want to get into cattle, just remember that it takes the same amount of feed/hay to keep a poor cow as it does a good cow. But the good cow well raise a better calf and a better calf we'll bring more money.

You don't need to get attached to them like a pet, at the end of the day their are food animals and you never now when you'll have to put one down.

You can make some money at it but if you start buying all brand new equipment, it'll take a long time to show a profit.

You should look into it what breads or color cows/calfs bring more money in your area, you can have the best cows in the world but if no one wants them, there not worth anything.

also farm credit has a young farmers program to help young farmers buy land, I think you need to be under 40 and have %15 money down and the land/farm need to cash flow itself (be able to pay for itself)

If you wanted livestock and can't afford cows, you could go with meat goats or hair sheep (their meat sheep on wool) but you need to know if their is a market for them where you live at.

On the other hand, I dont wheel as much as i use to. Work a 40 hour off farm job and farm a couple hundred acres too. It can take a lot of you time but if you enjoy it, go for it. You can always Sale out if it don't work

BIG_Country said:
If you want to get into cattle, just remember that it takes the same amount of feed/hay to keep a poor cow as it does a good cow. But the good cow well raise a better calf and a better calf we'll bring more money.

You don't need to get attached to them like a pet, at the end of the day their are food animals and you never now when you'll have to put one down.

You can make some money at it but if you start buying all brand new equipment, it'll take a long time to show a profit.
You should look into it what breads or color cows/calfs bring more money in your area, you can have the best cows in the world but if no one wants them, there not worth anything.

also farm credit has a young farmers program to help young farmers buy land, I think you need to be under 40 and have %15 money down and the land/farm need to cash flow itself (be able to pay for itself)

If you wanted livestock and can't afford cows, you could go with meat goats or hair sheep (their meat sheep on wool) but you need to know if their is a market for them where you live at.

On the other hand, I dont wheel as much as i use to. Work a 40 hour off farm job and farm a couple hundred acres too. It can take a lot of you time but if you enjoy it, go for it. You can always Sale out if it don't work

That is a good point on quality of cattle. A good cow should wean a steer calf that is half her body weight. My cows calve in March and wean the first week of November. My cow herd averages around 1150 lbs. Calves average around 580 in the fall. I raise my own replacement females. I raise black Angus cattle.

Looked into a lot myself. Help a guy I work with mess with his some and with hay.

If you can find a place fenched you can prob start small. Fenching is crazy money to start from scratch for a hobby guy anyway.

You can build a little wooden or what ever chute and head gate cheap enough.

Buy hay or sale in the winter and buy back in spring. Not near as much money really but don't have to deal with hay.

I've been told one head and acre on good grass as rule of thumb.

Kinda like wheeling, you can go all in or little at a time. Buy cut steers and summer them to pay for some equipment the next till you have what you need to run mamma cows.

If I had a place I could, I would have cows on it.

BTW most of the grant programs for equipment and such are 25 head of cattle or 50 acres of hay minimum or close to those numbers.

I done the feeder calf thingey once. Bought 102 550 calves @ .87 er lb in the spring. Sold them in fall @850 for .57 lb. $1500.00 for fertilizer, $1200.00 for and taxes and $500.00 for GL insurance, yes insurance . Ir you have a calf get out and a car hits it, and they prove your fences are not up to par, Thayer can sue. Not one of my better money makers. just saying.