• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Few YJ ?'s

NotSoPC

So during some talks with the wife about if the kids will ride in the Zook or not she made the call as not. So I have been looking at maybe replacing it with a YJ down the road a bit. My first question would be how does the 4cyl do with a 35 and a 5spd? Also I was tossing around a SOA or SUA set up but not sure just yet. If I do SOA it will be with stock springs. I want to run a 35-36 tire. I plan on tube fenders front and rear so what would be a better set up? Have seen some with a 2" SUA and cut fenders running a 37. I want a fair ride and fair flex, I don't do the rock thing but don't really want to be left wanting. Just thought I would ask as I don't have much in the way of know with the YJ's.

are you set on a YJ? I would look at a TJ get some spacers put on am 33's and go more places then a lift yj on 35's would go.

I would also look at the I-6 but thats just me.

yeah.. if you can, stay away from the underpowered 4 cyl...

if you can get a 6 cyl you will be much happier.

keep an eye out for a TJ as suggested, with a little bit of mods they do seem to work well on the trails...

but either way... it is what makes you and yours happy in the end... that is why i still enjoy having my CJ5...

I would also look at the I-6 but thats just me.

yeah.. if you can, stay away from the underpowered 4 cyl...

if you can get a 6 cyl you will be much happier.

Agreed.

The 6cyl would be the go to mostly because difference in fuel mileage isnt much at all, transmission selection (the 5spd ax-15) is better, difference in input splines for transfercase is different 21 with 4cyl and 23 with 6cyl (makes swapping a dana 300 in the possible future a little easier), the great reputation of the 6cyl with how common they are and most of all you get that little bit more power.

I like YJ's simply because they are simple and can be bought fairly cheaper than the TJ. If your into the lift kit options theres alot to choose from and they seem reasonably priced. Theres really not alot to leaf springs and shocks. SOA or SUA to me mostly depends on the buyer and their preference. I like my SOA for the trail but for some reason SUA seems better suited for the more road friendly rigs that do see trail time of course but not the balls out hardcore stuff.

You already own a zook so ill go out on a limb here and say your "smart" :D with your money and the biggest trap people, AT A TIME myself included, get into with these rigs is the aftermarket garbage that follows them. You can build a real trail and street worthy rig without all the unecessary junk, and it is JUNK, thats pushed towards jeep owners.

MOST OF ALL no matter the lift kit, tire size and all that other mumbo jumbo the biggest thing your gonna want to invest in with a YJ or TJ is a stronger rear axle (im biased towards the ford explorer 8.8) and a SYE (slip yoke eliminator).

My 2centz of course, to each his own. Long rant, but I hope this helps:beer:

Agreed.

The 6cyl would be the go to mostly because difference in fuel mileage isnt much at all, transmission selection (the 5spd ax-15) is better, difference in input splines for transfercase is different 21 with 4cyl and 23 with 6cyl (makes swapping a dana 300 in the possible future a little easier), the great reputation of the 6cyl with how common they are and most of all you get that little bit more power.

I like YJ's simply because they are simple and can be bought fairly cheaper than the TJ. If your into the lift kit options theres alot to choose from and they seem reasonably priced. Theres really not alot to leaf springs and shocks. SOA or SUA to me mostly depends on the buyer and their preference. I like my SOA for the trail but for some reason SUA seems better suited for the more road friendly rigs that do see trail time of course but not the balls out hardcore stuff.

You already own a zook so ill go out on a limb here and say your "smart" :D with your money and the biggest trap people, AT A TIME myself included, get into with these rigs is the aftermarket garbage that follows them. You can build a real trail and street worthy rig without all the unecessary junk, and it is JUNK, thats pushed towards jeep owners.

MOST OF ALL no matter the lift kit, tire size and all that other mumbo jumbo the biggest thing your gonna want to invest in with a YJ or TJ is a stronger rear axle (im biased towards the ford explorer 8.8) and a SYE (slip yoke eliminator).

My 2centz of course, to each his own. Long rant, but I hope this helps:beer:

Agree with everything he's saying!!!! absolutely.

I've got a YJ w/2.5 - S10 bastard packs - TJ flares - 2" body lift - 33's on stock running gear. It only gets about 12.5-13 mpgs and is simply under powered on hwy hills.
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51120&stc=1&d=1324512616
My wife has a TJ w/4.0 - 4.5" lift (no pucks) on 35's. kicks ass for what it is off road and does well on road too. it gets around 15-15.5 mpgs
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51121&stc=1&d=1324512616

Last edited:
So during some talks with the wife about if the kids will ride in the Zook or not she made the call as not. So I have been looking at maybe replacing it with a YJ down the road a bit. My first question would be how does the 4cyl do with a 35 and a 5spd? Also I was tossing around a SOA or SUA set up but not sure just yet. If I do SOA it will be with stock springs. I want to run a 35-36 tire. I plan on tube fenders front and rear so what would be a better set up? Have seen some with a 2" SUA and cut fenders running a 37. I want a fair ride and fair flex, I don't do the rock thing but don't really want to be left wanting. Just thought I would ask as I don't have much in the way of know with the YJ's.
The 2.5 is underpowered on both the YJ and TJ, with 35s. Even re-gearing them isn't enough. Simply not enough ponies to push a brick up a hill at 55 mph. You can rev 'em, but 5th gear is useless with 35s.
I've got 4" lift springs, (spring under) and I run 37s just fine with fender trimming & TJ flairs. A 2" SUA lift isn't enough lift, even with massive trimming, as you will easily max out the rear fenders (and mine are really cut).

Yj or early TJ. I think you can probably find a 97 tj fairly cheap these days but get the inline 6.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Get the 4.0. This is a buddy's rig done on a budget:

NachesSnowRun11-14-10043.jpg

Stock leafs, SOA, using Mountain Offroad shock mounts, anti wrap bar, spring perches, etc. Has a SYE, CV driveline, D30 and 8.8. Wheels it on 35's and daily drives it. Goes down the road good, wheels great, etc.

J

I like the TJ's but the price is what keeps them out of my hands. I would rather get the I6 but have seen the price on the 4cyl rigs is nice and it may get a 302 down the road. I plan to build most of the stuff for it myself as the off the shelf stuff is not cheap. Big thing is wanting more room.

Get the 4.0. This is a buddy's rig done on a budget:

NachesSnowRun11-14-10043.jpg

Stock leafs, SOA, using Mountain Offroad shock mounts, anti wrap bar, spring perches, etc. Has a SYE, CV driveline, D30 and 8.8. Wheels it on 35's and daily drives it. Goes down the road good, wheels great, etc.

J

That is what I plan on going for. Like the look and can still run with the family and wheel. An 8.8 swap would be first on the list for disk rears and stronger.

YJ all the way. leave the short arm/long arm deathwobble can-o-worms crap to the unicars. my old YJ sold to a gay guy who doesnt wheel but still sports bias plies, no swaybar or rear trac bar and it still drives great.

Street driving wasnt all that bad. 1-10 with 10 being the best she was a 7 probably. Had a little bit of bump steer, couldve used an alignment, the big nasty swampers didnt help much also and she was spooled in the rear axle. As far as keeping it between the lines and being able to relax, steer, and keep up on the freeway she did good.

Anything trail wise, including side hilling she did great. the axles were a tad wider than the orginal setup so most off camber situations we ran into were pretty controlled.

If you are seriously looking for a YJ I recommend 91-95 just because those are the Fuel Injected and High Output Cylinder head years. Earlier years are the 87-90 which have the 4.2L carburated setups.

Last edited:
yeah, Yj definitely. If you dont mind doing most of your stuff and a bit of a beater some times you can find them with the I6 for around 4-5.

The dana 30 front should handle 35's but i wouldnt go much bigger. The 2.5's have a valve spring problem. They start ticking and then pop pistons.

If you do end up with a I6 try to find one 94 or 5 so you get the external slave, injected, and ax-15. As said before the dana 35 has got to be one of the first things to go.

I managed to find an 87 with a 94 drive train. Injected, Ax-15 and external, with 8.8, Sye, 34 tsl's on CL for 3k. So just keep an eye out!