• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ff14 bolt question

does it have the duramax, 8.1 or 6.0? reason i ask is because i think they used the 10.5" ring gear in the hd 6.0 trucks and the 11.5" ring gear on the diesel's and the big block. could have just used the 11.5' in all but seems like the bigger engines got the bigger 14 bolt. figured somebody would ask lol

well i'm not positive but the little bit i have saw on them i think people were saying the housing was the only difference and everything inside was the same. its been awhile since i've saw it mentioned though. i'm sure there will be some others that will chime in, lets see what they say

99BLUEXJ said:
well i'm not positive but the little bit i have saw on them i think people were saying the housing was the only difference and everything inside was the same. its been awhile since i've saw it mentioned though. i'm sure there will be some others that will chime in, lets see what they say

its a semi-floating, if it has an axle that bolts in where the wheel lugs are, its a semi.

i have a semi-floating 14bolt axle in my garage, i took it in on a trade, thinking it was a full floating....

it's a good boat anchor, the only 14 bolt with a 10.5" ring gear is the semi floating. the full floating is a 11.5". the 6.0 can have the 11.5", if the truck is classified as a 2500HD it has a 11.5, reguardless of what engine, if it is a 2500, it is a 10.5".

irondalefj80 said:
its a semi-floating, if it has an axle that bolts in where the wheel lugs are, its a semi.

i have a semi-floating 14bolt axle in my garage, i took it in on a trade, thinking it was a full floating....

it's a good boat anchor, the only 14 bolt with a 10.5" ring gear is the semi floating. the full floating is a 11.5". the 6.0 can have the 11.5", if the truck is classified as a 2500HD it has a 11.5, reguardless of what engine, if it is a 2500, it is a 10.5".

:wtflol: This is so ****ing incorrect it's not even funny...

9.5" 14 bolt is Semi-Float

10.5" 14 bolt is what "everyone" runs, and is found it the 6.0 2500HD

11.5" is a "new" AAM axle that is in 8.1/Duramax/new Cummins trucks.

Tommy knows what axle is in his truck.

your axle will use any 10.5 diff. They didnt change the diffs, just the outer casting/added discs.

Re: ff14 bolt question

irondalefj80 said:

WTF. Totally incorrect. Full float the axle is bolted to the hub. Semi float the axle is held in by c-clip.

Diesels and 8.1 are the only ones to get the 11.5 aam axle. It has no pinion support/removable pinion like the 10.5 has.

2500HD's w/ 6.0 have a 10.5 with removable pinion just like most 14b's that are in Offroad rigs.

2500 non hd has a semi float 14 bolt(9.5") and 1500HD has same axle.

TBItoy said:

your axle will use any 10.5 diff. They didnt change the diffs, just the outer casting/added discs.

exactly

irondalefj80 said:
Just repeating what I've heard and what I drive.
:gay:

This is why I always double check what I hear before trying to relay that incorrect information down the chain.

TBItoy said:

I believe the pinion support housing is also different in that there is a different mounting pattern on the flange between old and new housings. I'll see if I can find where I read that...

leeman1790 said:
WTF. Totally incorrect. Full float the axle is bolted to the hub. Semi float the axle is held in by c-clip.

Diesels and 8.1 are the only ones to get the 11.5 aam axle. It has no pinion support/removable pinion like the 10.5 has.

2500HD's w/ 6.0 have a 10.5 with removable pinion just like most 14b's that are in Offroad rigs.

2500 non hd has a semi float 14 bolt(9.5") and 1500HD has same axle.

i need to have more coffee. i agree. my brain isnt working today, thanks for jumping my ass guys.

Well I got a older style carrier an it fell right into place f ixed all my problems thanks for the input lol... now I need a t case turns out a hd hates bouncing haha

tommy450r said:
Well I got a older style carrier an it fell right into place f ixed all my problems thanks for the input lol... now I need a t case turns out a hd hates bouncing haha

Did you pop the stock Gov-Lock?