• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Finally got a tow rig..... might need injectors

rover18

After a lot of waiting and searching I finally got a rig. Its a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l QCLB 6 speed manual, seems to be all stock. Of course, after buying it I noticed that there is a bit of a vibration at idle. I know it's a diesel, but my brother's 04 with new stock injectors doesn't vibrate like this. I'm worried injectors are the problem, or maybe motor mounts. Wanting to have it looked at this weekend and I'm planning on taking it to Sound Diesel Performance. Thoughts, opinions, options open on weekends in the Puyallup or Auburn area. He doesn't charge for diagnostics!

Planning on doing the FASS fuel system, intake, exhaust, and a tuner in the somewhat near future.

yha, chouldnt realy vibrate.
any smoke, hows it start hot vs cold. should light off within about 2 revolutions tops. any longer than that and its a sighn that theres high return flow.

The vibration got better when I filled it up. It sat on the lot for 4 months and I bought it with a half tank. Bad fuel or water in the tank???? It starts up in about 2 revs, maybe 3 when it sits over night. Blows a little white smoke when its cold and its only for a couple of seconds. Doesn't roll coal at all.

Had it looked at by a shop, they said that the injectors are within spec and that the vibration is from the dual mass flywheel. They recommend doing a clutch kit, motor mounts, trans mount, and u-joints. At least it's something I was planning on replacing anyways.

Get the Southbend 3250 or don't do it at all.. best clutch I have run and held up to the pounding my last 5.9 gave it.

Did the Southbend 3250 w/ upgraded hydraulics, the fass 150, smarty tuner, and edge insight cts. Needless to say, I don't have much money left... hahaha

Should have went EFI live, once you see the light of good clean tuning you wont go back to the smokey smarty. Start saving for injectors and EFI. My setup was 100hp sticks, 2nd gen manifold and compounds with stock turbo over 475. I had a 2005 so I was stuck with Smarty UDT tunes.

Should have went EFI live, once you see the light of good clean tuning you wont go back to the smokey smarty. Start saving for injectors and EFI. My setup was 100hp sticks, 2nd gen manifold and compounds with stock turbo over 475. I had a 2005 so I was stuck with Smarty UDT tunes.

How did you like that compound setup? I would like to run that combo on my 03 some day.

How did you like that compound setup? I would like to run that combo on my 03 some day.

It was perfect for me. I loved to tow with it. I had my truck/trailer combo rolling over the scales at 23368lbs (trailer was almost 15k) one day headed east over I90. In 6th gear the entire way doing 72 mph, I never broke 1100*. I had the 33% over CP3 also. The 100 sticks and UDT tuning was a little too much for the stock CP3. I had to upgrade to the 2006 (I think) all aluminum intercooler cause I blew up the factory 2005 plastic one. Upgrade your IC pipe couplings to silicone with T bolts and you will be good to go. The 5.9 head gasket can take a flogging to hell and back if you just slip studs in one at a time. The 6.7 is a different story.... I love my new truck but I miss my 2005, with that said I think the 475 is a great large turbo for the 100 sticks and I have a buddy that is running the same setup I had on his early 2007 with EFI live and that thing flat out works. It was nice to have the same trucks built the same way but one was a 2005 and one was a 2007 running different tunes only. I am an EFI live fan boy now. Just waiting for them to get all the bugs worked out for my 2014! :stirpot: