• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Finally got a wheeler!!

FIVE~0~NINE--Wheeler

I picked up a 1986 toyota landcruiser (FJ60). it is stock but for a 3 inch EMU lift, and 33 superswampers. im gonna do a SOA to lift it some more. thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:
Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
Nice purchase my friend! I am personally VERY glad you bought an FJ60 as this will preclude you making countless other threads, asking silly questions about every 4X4 ever built!

Now, BEFORE you do an SOA and BEFORE you put a winch on it do THIS! Put LOCKERS it in! Do this even before you buy a Hi-Lift jack, my friend. This should be your first and ONLY priority at this point, as lockers will make a WORLD of difference. Trust me on this.

If money is tight, then a pair of Aussie lockers might be just the ticket for your budget. But no matter what, if you want a truly CAPABLE 4X4, get some lockers. Also, another nice trade-off is to lock the rear diff and install an LSD in the front.

It works like this, see? All the lift in the world and all the tires on the planet will not help you one tiny bit if you don't have the traction, my friend. I honestly don't know of anyone who would disagree with this philosophy. After all, you have an EMU lift and 33" tires, shoot you're already THERE as far as lifting it goes. Good luck and congrats on your new rig!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Last edited:
Can't be a wheeler. It has no mud on it yet! And the tires look a little suspect too. Need some new rubber there is you're going off road.

But that's just my opinion.

Show us all some pictures with mud all over it.

Just don't get stuck, okay?

Good buy there, I would have to say. Enjoy the trails. :awesomework:

It works like this, see? All the lift in the world and all the tires on the planet will not help you one tiny bit if you don't have the traction, my friend. I honestly don't know of anyone who would disagree with this philosophy. After all, you have an EMU lift and 33" tires, shoot you're already THERE as far as lifting it goes. Good luck and congrats on your new rig!
Your friend;
LAMAR

I do disagree with you take the lockers out of a buggie and wheel it with a locked up toyota see which one goes further this has nothing to do with this thread I just thought I would disagree with you lame-ar.

I do disagree with you take the lockers out of a buggie and wheel it with a locked up toyota see which one goes further this has nothing to do with this thread I just thought I would disagree with you lame-ar.

Dear Not8887;
So, you will disagree with someone and make yourself out to be a total idiot solely on principal??? That's pretty hardcore, my friend!
Your friend;
LAMAR

What you lack in traction from lockers you gain from traction in articulation. If you locked a stock toyota and took it out it will do great know if you take out the lockers and link it and get ungoddly amount of articulation it will do marginally the same.

I am hardcore.

Dear Nate8887;
I tend to disagree with this, my friend. With all other portions of the equation being equal, a 4WD vehicle needs three things to proceed, those being traction, ground clearance and power (torque).

Of course a person can compliment any one of the three aspects and it will help the situation overall, but the very best all-around rigs have equal portions of all three aspects.

This does not pertain to rock buggies, moon buggies, dune buggies or other *one-off* creations which were purpose built for only one terrain type. I meant this statement to be true in regards to those vehicles which have valid license plates on them and may be driven in ALL environments and terrain types.

Looking at the current situation, 5-0-9 Wheeler already has a rig with 33 inchers and a decent lift, therefore it'd make no sense at all to spend a small fortune on an SOA, with all it entails and leave the rig unlocked. IMVHO, first lockers should be installed and the vehicle wheeled in that configuration for a while. If the person feels that an SOA would help the situation even further, then sure, SOA that badboy, HOWEVER we are talking about $520.00 for a pair of Aussie locker vs. some 2-3K for an SOA with bigger tires, cut & turn, etc.

TO close, I stand by my prior statement, my friend.
Your friend;
LAMAR

I wouldn't go about lifting this thing just yet man! Go and enjoy it, I think you're gonna like it where it is heightwise, unless you want it to be a street queen that's hard to get in and out of!:redneck::haha: Think about it, it's gonna be another 4-5" taller! That's a lot if you're on a side hill in that tank, you'll be wishing you were lower!:;

Sweet ride, I like how it looks now, and ya, with lockers and new rubber, that thing will do A LOT! :awesomework:

Dear Nate8887;
I tend to disagree with this, my friend. With all other portions of the equation being equal, a 4WD vehicle needs three things to proceed, those being traction, ground clearance and power (torque).

Of course a person can compliment any one of the three aspects and it will help the situation overall, but the very best all-around rigs have equal portions of all three aspects.

This does not pertain to rock buggies, moon buggies, dune buggies or other *one-off* creations which were purpose built for only one terrain type. I meant this statement to be true in regards to those vehicles which have valid license plates on them and may be driven in ALL environments and terrain types.

Looking at the current situation, 5-0-9 Wheeler already has a rig with 33 inchers and a decent lift, therefore it'd make no sense at all to spend a small fortune on an SOA, with all it entails and leave the rig unlocked. IMVHO, first lockers should be installed and the vehicle wheeled in that configuration for a while. If the person feels that an SOA would help the situation even further, then sure, SOA that badboy, HOWEVER we are talking about $520.00 for a pair of Aussie locker vs. some 2-3K for an SOA with bigger tires, cut & turn, etc.

TO close, I stand by my prior statement, my friend.
Your friend;
LAMAR

ya it is expensive to have done, but i am gonna do it my self. i helped my friend do it on his wheeler. so i somewhat know what to do.

Just make sure the angles are all right and you will be fine is it staying offroad if so weld the rear "lincoln lock" it. Actually what rear end does it have in it you may think of swapping it to a p/u rear they are already soa and stronger than some land cruiser rear ends. Locking it is the easy way to get traction but not the only way. I am not a l/c expert so do not qoute me on the axles.

Actually what rear end does it have in it you may think of swapping it to a p/u rear they are already soa and stronger than some land cruiser rear ends.

The LC rear end is stronger than a truck axle, and already has the correct offset differential. The spring perches wouldn't be in the correct position on a truck axle anyway. And FWIW, I wouldn't recommend a welded rear to anyone that has to drive on icy/snowy roads.

A SOA in a wagon is fairly easy. If you go back to stock leaf springs, it should only be 3-4 inches higher than it is now, the front probably won't need to have the knuckles rotated, and you can sell that OME kit for a few hundred to help pay for it all. The biggest expenses are high steer arms, driveline modifications, and an anti-wrap bar for the rear.

Just make sure the angles are all right and you will be fine is it staying offroad if so weld the rear "lincoln lock" it. Actually what rear end does it have in it you may think of swapping it to a p/u rear they are already soa and stronger than some land cruiser rear ends. Locking it is the easy way to get traction but not the only way. I am not a l/c expert so do not qoute me on the axles.

Dear nate8887;
Negatory, my friend. That particular FJ60 has the big 9.5" ring gear semi-floating rear diff, which means it's every bit as strong as a semi-float Dana 60, or perhaps a bit stronger. In all actuality, the SF axles the older Land Cruisers are bigger in diameter than the FF axles.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Armor and recovery gear.
THEN lockers.
lockers are all well and good untill you blow some **** up and you STILL CAN'T GET UNSTUCK because your buddy Lamar (who is really quite strange BTW:hi:) said get a locker BEFORE A JACK...:eeek:

First thing you need to that is get the maintenance and repairs caught up.
belts, hoses, tune, worn stuff etc.
Then buy some cool ****.
You don't want it breaking down on you out in the middle of nowhere because of something small and stupid.

Dear Rix;
My statement "Get lockers before you get a Hi-Lift jack" was strictly metaphoric in nature, my somewhat dense friend. Naturally all 4X4s should have a Hi-Lift jack mounted on them as a permanent fixture, as well as a good quality shovel, a sledgehammer, a prybar, tow strap, chains, spare belts, hoses, etc.

And I wouldn't worry too much about recovery either. After all, you guys live in the USA where it's never very far to reach pavement, unlike us poor bastiches who drive on the dirt as a way of life.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Get to know the rig first. put it on jackstands then crawl under it. check gearboxes and driveshafts/u-joints. check the brakes and re-pack the front wheel bearings and knuckles, do a tune up and check all the belts hoses etc.

lockers and suspension aren't worth **** if your broke down because of a $2 part. Once the rig is reliable and you know how to repair/maintain it, move on to recovery/survival gear then hard parts like lockers and suspension.

Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
Now, BEFORE you do an SOA and BEFORE you put a winch on it do THIS! Put LOCKERS it in! Do this even before you buy a Hi-Lift jack, my friend. This should be your first and ONLY priority at this point, as lockers will make a WORLD of difference. Trust me on this.

Your friend;
LAMAR
Dear Lamar;

Apparently your idea of metaphorical is wrong, LAMAR. That up there looks pretty straight forward.
Your ideas about of alot of things are generally ****ed up, my friend.
But in this case..... bad advice is bad advice, either way, my friend.
Longfields should be on the list before a front locker, too.:awesomework:
DO NOT call me dense, when you don't even know me. Seriously.

Lamar is a troll and that post was his bait. you fell for it. :booo:

First thing I do with a rig before I buy it is go over it with a fine tooth comb. if you find issues then you may be able to negotiate a lower price.

With the new purchase home. I fix all the issues, add recovery gear, tools, spare parts and fluids. If the rear is open I pull it and weld it then take it wheeling:cheer: