• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Firewall tubbing ?

Grommit327

What guage of steel should I use for patching up the firewall after the hacking has commenced. I would think 14-16...something that can be formed to the shape of the firewall but also strong enough to take some abuse. Also any thing special like cold rolled or ???

What guage of steel should I use for patching up the firewall after the hacking has commenced. I would think 14-16...something that can be formed to the shape of the firewall but also strong enough to take some abuse. Also any thing special like cold rolled or ???

We need pics of said hacking.:corn:

What kind of rig? American made (jeep) then use 16 gauge cold rolled if its a toyota then just smash flat a couple of beer cans and pop rivet them together and your good as new:haha: :haha: :haha:

on your tacoma i would use 18 guage. perfect blend of strength and formability. although i am going to use 16 guage because it is widely available to me for free. i've even heard of people using like an old toyota door as donor sheet metal, thats probably 20 guage. whatever you do. silicone it good and spray a bunch of rubberized undercoat on it.

i cut up an old van hood for the sheet metal , worked good with the built in curve

Donor sheet metal...I hadn't thought of that one but good idea. :awesomework: I have a wrecking yard available to "borrow" metal from...maybe some good ol american steel in there. I plan on getting some automotive sealer for the inside and the outside will get primered and undercoated.