• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ40 with drums convert to discs

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
What does it take to convert from drum to disc on an older FJ40? I have a buddy at work that wants to do it, since his drums are bad... :corn:

I forgot the birfs as well they are stronger and if its coure spline now he will need them anyway for the hubs to work.

Hi All:

Like "WayneFJ40" wrote, the Toyota 4wd mini-truck solid front axle is a good donor.

Any 1976-89 Land Cruiser with disc brakes is a worthy donor to convert a drum brake frontend to discs. Like the mini-truck frontend, one would use the inner axles, CV joints (aka "Birfields"), knuckles, lock-out hubs, etc.

What year is your friend's FJ40?

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------
What does it take to convert from drum to disc on an older FJ40? I have a buddy at work that wants to do it, since his drums are bad... :corn:

Last edited:
If he's not bent on upgrading and just needs some workable drums, I've got a whole mess of them holding my garage floor down :D

Assuming it's a '68-'75, it's a pretty straight-forward swap, but it's not quite as "bolt-in" as it sounds.

The ends of the axle housings need to be opened up a little bit to fit the bigger birfields from the truck axle. The birfs fit fine inside the bell once you open up the 'fishmouth' a little wider to fit them in.

He'll need to use the steering arms from the truck knuckles since the stud pattern is different. The stock TREs will now be too small. Depending on how involved he wants to get, there are a few ways to deal with this. In short, if he plans to convert to PS or change anything with the steering, this would be a good time to do it all one time.

In the same vein, I'd strongly encourage putting discs on the rear as well. You can probably do it for ~$250 including rotors, brackets, calipers, pads, hoses, and a proportioning valve.

Again assuming he's got a '68-'75, he already has a dual-circuit brake system. But the stock residual valves in the master cylinder are not intended for use with disc brake calipers.

It's a '74. How much would ya want for a set of drums?!?! Not sure if he needs the pads, but the drums i think would help! :awesomework: I think he's looking for something on the cheap right now, I think discs are in the distant future for him... :booo: I just want to help get it going! :awesomework:

He makes instrument panels for the FJ's too! Here's a link:

http://www.trailcandy.com/ (sorry mods if this is against the rules, but i don't read the rules.:fawkdancesmiley::haha:)

Last edited:
It's a '74. How much would ya want for a set of drums?!?! Not sure if he needs the pads, but the drums i think would help! :awesomework: I think he's looking for something on the cheap right now, I think discs are in the distant future for him... :booo: I just want to help get it going! :awesomework:

He makes instrument panels for the FJ's too! Here's a link:

http://www.trailcandy.com/ (sorry mods if this is against the rules, but i don't read the rules.:fawkdancesmiley::haha:)

I could not in good conscience charge for anything drum-brake related. If and when I ever get around to working on my own junk, I'll have Cody's old disc brakes to sell fairly cheap, but they're not ready to go yet. They would actually be almost a bolt-in upgrade for him.

Let me know when he wants to come get 'em and I'll see how many I've got tucked away. There just isn't any reason I'll ever need them in the future.

And those clusters would look WAY out of place on my junk. :haha: Cool stuff, though.