• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

Re: Re: Re: FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

jp fan said:
I don't have a toyota yet but this was a great bit of info good job andsweat rig

Thanks, and that's why I did it. If I had've found a thread like this a long time ago, I wouldn't have had to spend a ton of hours searching the web for info lol.

TacomaJD said:
Thanks, and that's why I did it. If I had've found a thread like this a long time ago, I wouldn't have had to spend a ton of hours searching the web for info lol.

1000 articles on mud about this... and they all say you MUST pack the birfs with graphite grease :flipoff1: I bet that stuff won't even lube them :popcorn:

muddinmetal said:
1000 articles on mud about this... and they all say you MUST pack the birfs with graphite grease :flipoff1: I bet that stuff won't even lube them :popcorn:

Haven't spent much time on that forum until recently. I used valvoline synthetic wheel bearing grease in the birfs, and all other bearings. Just packed the knuckles with marine grease. Hard for me to believe the graphite vs. synthetic will make much difference. I'll be the guinea pig and experiment.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

Neal3000 said:
Thats what i always did too......looks good dude :dblthumb:

Thanks man. I figured since marine grease isn't supposed to be affected by the elements as easily as others, it was perfect for it. We'll see eventually.

Gotta stay out of creeks, front end was FULL of water from all the leaky seals. Lol

wannabe said:
Think the marine grease would work ok for a rig that sees a good bit of road?

Works on boat trailers and some ppl burn up the roads going fishing. (long as it says marine WHEEL BEARING grease) but I'm not educated enough to answer that.

Now, I packed all the bearings and birfs with Valvoline synthetic grease and just bought the marine grease to pack the insides of the knuckles because it was only like $3 or $4 a tube at walmart. One tube per knuckle is what I used.

I already told u quite wastin time on this. You don't worry about yota knuckles till they STOP leaking. :****:

BUG-E J said:
I already told u quite wastin time on this. You don't worry about yota knuckles till they STOP leaking. :****:

They was about to that point. Most of what came out of the chunk was milk lol. The rest of it is spread among my shop floor and my trailer. :****:

Sumbitch better not leak for at least a few months this time though molaugh

BUG-E J said:

:gay: Your old knuckles haven't leaked in 3 years :****: of course, I guess neither side are technically your old knuckles. I think the left inner knuckle ball is all that's left up there from you lol.

I don't know **** about Toyota axles. How much stronger and wider are 80 axles vs. mini truck?

mckeddie said:
I don't know **** about Toyota axles. How much stronger and wider are 80 axles vs. mini truck?

Nick (TBItoy) would be the man to answer that, I have no idea. I've never had a mini truck front, my old SAS'd Tacoma had a D44 under it.

I've beat my truck pretty good at times with dual cases and 39" stickies and ain't had the first problem out of the front besides the leaking. I'd say they are pretty damn strong. Not sure if I would compare em to a Dana 60, but they gotta be close.

mckeddie said:

FJ80 front is 8" wider than a stock mini truck front (63.5 vs 55.5")

it's a good bit stonger- bigger birfs, knuckles and brakes, high pinion gears, thicker/stronger housing.

pretty good option for a "mid size" axle.

I would compare a stock FJ80 front to a HP D44 with chromo shafts and u joints.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
See....Nick knows every time somebody types his name regarding tech info. He's like Batman of Toyota tech. :flipoff1:
I knew ALL that toyota **** not too long ago. Then I saw the light and havent turned back! :driving:

Re:

TacomaJD said:
See....Nick knows every time somebody types his name regarding tech info. He's like Batman of Toyota tech. :flipoff1:

not just Toyota, he's the batman of everthing 4x4 :****: