• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Got a little leaking going on with the FJ80 front axle under my rig and I've been researching and thinking about doing an overhaul on it and replace all the seals/gaskets. I imagine the inner axle seals are ****, because it's leaking gear oil from around the back of the knuckle around the ball and also comes out around the drive flange dust cap after a good day's worth of wheeling. I think I've figured out how to do the most of it just from Youtube vids and several hours of reading on the web, but I have one question right off the bat and I'm sure more will be to come when I finally decide to order parts and do this.

#1 When ordering a Knuckle rebuild kit such as the one offered from Marlin Crawler or Trail Gear, are all the specs / bolt holes / pattern is the same for the Hellfire Fabworks Knuckles that's on my truck as the stock knuckles would be? (obviously steering arm stuff is different, not concerned about that). Just want to make sure if I order a Knuckle rebuild kit and/or Trail Gear's Rock Ring / Wiper Seal kit, it should all fit up with the Hellfire Knuckles on my axle just like stock FJ80 knuckles. There's not a whole lot of literature on the Hellfire Knuckles on the web.

Some of my questions now and in the future may sound dumb, but I have absolutely zero experience about working on axle related ****. This would be my first venture rebuilding something without the help of anyone or someone else doing it, so as usual I want to make sure I got everything straight and know what's up, before I start ordering parts and ripping stuff apart.

Here are links to things I may end up buying and am concerned about whether or not they will fit my Hellfire Knuckles problem-free. Thanks!

Marlin Crawler Knuckle Service Kit
http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-service-parts/service-front-fj80/knuckle-gasket-seal-kit

Scroll down to Trail Safe Knuckle Ball Wiper Seal Kit. If I order this, I will just order the Inner EcoSeals from Marlin Crawler, as I've read they are the best?
http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle-service

Edit: Useful info is in the last page or two of this thread, with pics and links

the hellfire fab knuckles are no different, marlin crawler is who i used the last time,
if the are sold out there are acouple more places you can get them.

Re: Re: FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

is the leaking most prevalent when you're on the ramp or when you're off the ramp? :flipoff1:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Awesome info! Thanks Jamie, I'll do your knuckles Tyler.......for a small (large) fee :flipoff1:

The wiper seals and rock rings looked like a pretty solid idea, sucks that they won't work on fj80 stuff :(

I believe Bobby Long makes a UHMW wiper that would be good in this application.

Replace the inner seal while you're at it. Get the Marlin Eco-Seals. Tore my front axle apart for the first time after 4 years, and the birfs are still greased and free of gear oil thanks to the Marlin seals thumb.gif

jordan7118 said:
I believe Bobby Long makes a UHMW wiper that would be good in this application.

Replace the inner seal while you're at it. Get the Marlin Eco-Seals. Tore my front axle apart for the first time after 4 years, and the birfs are still greased and free of gear oil thanks to the Marlin seals thumb.gif

Yep, Bobby's wipers and Marlin Eco-Seals is the only way to go. For everything else you'll to rebuild it call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

I stumbled across that Cruiser Outfitters site, but wasn't sure about it, so it's good to hear recommendations.

That's what I had heard about the Marline EcoSeals, and I will definitely be checking into the Long wiper kit! Thanks!!! :dblthumb:

Kurt is one of the best in the Cruiser community. While you're in there, swap birfs right to left.

Donutfj80 said:
With Bobbys wipers,you don't even need to take the knuckles off the axle housing to install.

Cool, that will cut down on time.

Any specific reason to swap birfs right to left? I've never heard that before, but then again I'm a newb to all this, so I'm curious. Kinda along the same principal of the reason you rotate tires, I'm assuming?

bluzuk80 said:
I run the marlin eco seals in my 80 under my ftoy. no more wet knuckles

Awesome deal! Any special brand or weight gear oil that goes in those 80 axles with factory e locker? I honestly have no idea.

TacomaJD said:
Cool, that will cut down on time.

Any specific reason to swap birfs right to left? I've never heard that before, but then again I'm a newb to all this, so I'm curious. Kinda along the same principal of the reason you rotate tires, I'm assuming?
Under an 80series, the stock front is always spinning (full time 4wd), so inside the birf wears on one side of the bell. Swapping sides wears the opposite side.
Moly in the knuckle, 90wt in diff. The Eco-Seal keeps them from turning into "Birf Soup" And stay away from Frank and his goop! molaugh

Yea, the marlin eco seals is the way to go, but go ahead and order a extra pair, because shipping is higher than the seals and it takes a week to get them, and i promise you will use them

zukimaster said:
Yea, the marlin eco seals is the way to go, but go ahead and order a extra pair, because shipping is higher than the seals and it takes a week to get them, and i promise you will use them

Sounds like a good idear to me chief :dblthumb: :drinkers:

When I had a yota front axle I didn't worry till it stopped leaking. :****: