• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Flame suit on

L

lowbudgetjunk

I read. Not, I read, past tense. Good books in print still seem to calm this guys nerves. Been running, been working, been fixing crap, been reading some. Only problem is I am running low on good material in print.

I'll toss out a few as examples and see if you guys have some thoughts. I am sure to get some bullshit responses, but hopefully will find one or two good books to read.

I have a dear friend that is dying. Before I knew it was as close as it was, I recommended The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. Good for someone making a change in life or hitting a crossroads. He changed jobs, thrived for a while and then. Unintentionally, I recommended Tuesdays with Maury by Mitch Albom. My friend, 53, came in with tears and said he was starting to see the signs the doctor warned him about and was about to start his weekly visits and procedure's.

He thanked me for the selections and asked for a few more. I had two more geared especially for him, but have run out of good to great books to read personally.

One Second After by William Forstchen is a good read for people that know nothing about prepping or any history of death and destruction.

Blah, blah. I am not looking for smart ass comments, but am prepared for them. I used to have a group that kept me filled on good books, but that system failed. Please add a few if you highly recommend or have heard multiple good things about said book.

Kel Lawrence

Well about the only book I've willingly read in my life that wasn't Goosebumps was "A walk in the woods" because my dad recommended it (which he is an avid reader). It is written about a real experience (I think, been awhile) by a guy who decides to walk the Appalachian Trail and his fat, crude friend decides to tag along. Talks about the people they come across, the mishaps and so on. It is definitely humorous, somewhat informative, and I really enjoyed the woods setting.

BTW, maybe you've already read it for all I know. Not like it is some hidden gem of a book. Ha.

Bill_Bryson_A_Walk_In_The_Woods.jpg

Re:

I want to walk the Appalachian trail one day, don't think about checking out the NY times best sellers, so thank you. Gonna spens a few bucks to see if the fat friend makes it......which would be me

Kel Lawrence

The American Assassin series (Mitch Rapp) by Vince Flynn is a great set to get into. It was suggested to me by a war vet and I couldn't put them down. Here's a link to the chronological order:

http://www.vinceflynn.com/chronological-order.html

South - Ernest Shackleton

...unbelievable true story of a doomed expedition with no man left behind. Riveting.

American Sniper
I hope they serve beer in hell
Assholes finish first

the only three books I have read since 2007 when I graduated high school. Would read them all again.

If you like fiction with an adventure James Bond kind of flare but 'Murica' based: Pretty much anything Clive Cussler or the offshoots of his NUMA series

If you like suspense/mystery the Pendergast series by Preston and Child are fun reads (both those authors write good stuff on their own too)

I'm a complete Star Wars nerd, so I read anything that has to do with that as well.... (talk about putting a flame suit on...LOL)

I love reading but only get to do it during hunting season. I freaking love the jack teacher books. That dude kicks some ass. I was very dissapointing in the movie

Don't know if you have a Kindle or not but amazon will make a "recommended for you" reading list for similar books to what you purchase. Even if you don't, you can go on their website and type in a title of a book you like and it will list similar books. You can also read usually the first chapter to see if it hooks you or not. You can also get a free Kindle app on a smart phone so you always have it with you.
Try some of P.T. Deutermann's books. Spider Mountain was one of the first ones I read by him and it had me hooked all the way through and some pretty serious twists throughout.

If you liked the One Second After you will probably like the Going Home series by A. American. It's five books about the same topic/EMP, 1-3 are really good, 4th is good and 5th is ok.

I'll throw these out there as well:
Fahrenhiet 451
Brave New World
The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged

Well. I hate reading. But I can tell Ya there's not much to do in the slammer besides read and play cards, or rap .. The last 2 seem to be "not my crowd" so to pass time I read. The bible (can be hard to understand) and the only other thing I read was james Patterson (I think) books. The Alex cross ****. You may like it. It was kinda cool. I just never sit in one place long enough to read now. Ya may like it. I couldn't believe that when I finished a book I was actually ready to read the next. You'd be amazed at how many books Ya can read in 6+ months..

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Like American Sniper above, No easy day, and Lone Survivor

In the Company of Heros is the best military book that I have read. Written by Michael Durant as his account of being a hostage in Somalia.

I dig zombie books. Any book in the Adrian's Undead Diary by Chris Philbrook is good. Just got into the White Flag of the Dead series by Joseph Tolluto. Waiting on book 4 to come in the mail.