• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Flat top knuckles on Ford 44

UABYJ94

I am running the 44/9 axle combo from a 79 F150. I picked up a chevy 44 to swap the flat top knuckles over to the ford and went to put the ford shafts back in and the inner shaft ujoint yoke won't go through the holen the knuckle. It's hitting on the ujoint cap where it protrudes slightly through the yoke. Has anyone had this experience and give me a heads up on it??

The chevy is 6 lug with an opening of 3.5" and the ford is 5 lug with an opening of 4". I know this is my problem, now I need to know what to do to rememdy it. I don't think it would be good to ream out the hole to make room as there isn't much meat between the hole and the bolts..I sure would appreciate any insight someone has on this.

Here are pics for a visual reference..
JeepBuild163.jpg

JeepBuild164.jpg

I apologize in advance for my ignorance if this is a common issue with a common fix that I didn't find in my searches.

Called a few people and found out that it is common and that reaming out the hole a little more as well as hitting the yoke and u-joint with a flapper wheel to shave it some is what is most often done. I took small amounts at a time til I could tap it through with a rubber mallet, so I hope this help someone else down the road that runs this axle set up..

The knuckle, spindle and backing plate are the only thing you need from the chevy if you are staying with the 5x5.5 bp. They both use the same bearings, spindle nuts and spacers, heck even lock out hubs/drive flanges are interchangeable.

I undrstand that, but I wanted to stay driver side drop since the YJ is already set up that way. Thanks for the input.

May just be able to grind out 2 small places inbetween the spindle bolts just enought for the caps the slide thru. I've got a set of Reid knuckles and they came that way..May be what you already mentioned above tho

yotakrawler said:
May just be able to grind out 2 small places inbetween the spindle bolts just enought for the caps the slide thru. I've got a set of Reid knuckles and they came that way..May be what you already mentioned above tho

Had to do that on the yukons in my waggy 44.