• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 8.8 strength?

Re: Ford 8.8 strength?

I agree they are not near as strong but still a significant upgrade from a yota axle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did an 8.8 swap in my YJ with 4.88 gears and E locker with a cv shaft. Has 36" TSLs on it and I run the **** out of it and never a problem. loller.gif

I stripped out 3 stock 9" axles, broke 2 mini spools and 1 cross pin, in my old 4 cylinder jeep with 38.5's, if your going to build an axle do tons or nothing

Re: Re: Re: Ford 8.8 strength?

EsPowell said:
Aren't there some narrow 6 lug 14 bolts from under vans or are they too wide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 lug factory 14 bolts aren't "real" 14 bolts. They are 9.5" ring gear semi float c clip axles. Van axles are usually really wide also.

I say go to a Ford 9" they are very strong stock and almost no limit to upgrades.

My lil supercharged rear engine buggy has a 9" rear with Currie 35 spline shafts on 42" v tread tractor tires on the rear and that sucker holds up well under abuse. If I'm not mistaken you can go to YouTube and search "hill killer Keller" I believe he was running 9" and abusing the heck out of them

zayne2427 said:
My lil supercharged rear engine buggy has a 9" rear with Currie 35 spline shafts on 42" v tread tractor tires on the rear and that sucker holds up well under abuse. If I'm not mistaken you can go to YouTube and search "hill killer Keller" I believe he was running 9" and abusing the heck out of them

I can't wait to see that buggy in action I've always liked it

i did the yukon ultimate 88 kit or whatever it is called. It has the c clip elminator kit included and upgraded the axle shaft strength. I have been happy with it so far. I also did the crush sleeve elminator kit, it's worth it but it will teach you new cuss words trying to get the pinion preload right. :****:

TBItoy said:
Cab chassis 14b is 63" wide.

By shaved, I meant just getting a 13bolt cover from Barnes or undercover fab. Not a full ring gear shave.

Hubs can be converted to 6lug.

But yeah. Disc brake explorer 8.8s are cheap.. I haven't seen one with stock 4.10 gears though.ever. always 3.55 or 3.73.

I swapped in a disc brake 8.8 into my jeep when it was still stock and it had 4.10's. I picked it up at a junkyard too and I'm pretty sure it wasn't aftermarket gears.

Another option would be getting a dirt cheap rear Dana 60 30 spline, and welding the ends of a Toyota housing on it to run Toyota shafts/brakes/etc...