• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 8.8 strength?

fatguy7814

Is anyone running the Ford 8.8? Or have any opinions on this axle. Ran into some guys in Utah that swore by them. Seem to have good reviews. Toyota rear has got to go. I'm looking for a replacement.

Re: Re: Ford 8.8 strength?

Then yea...the larger 8.8 gear used with a solid pinion spacer would be an upgrade.

The 8.8 is damn near the 14bolt of the 1/2 ton axle choices. Cheap...everywhere. ..great stock axles....and even have disc brakes on 96 ups.

Me and 3 buddies had 8.8s under our jeeps (2 wranglers 1 on 35 mtrs other on 35 km2s, 2 cherokees 1 on bfg old style mud terrains and mine on 33" wrangler duractracs) all of em except the wrangler on km2s was welded and they held up to plenty abuse for a stock axle in a dd/ww

Re:

The disc breaks hold the shafts in if you break the c clips

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

4:88's use to be as low as you could go, and you you had to grind a flat on the cross pin to even be able to put it back in when you went to that gear. I would go 60 or 14 bolt. If your going to spend money just do it once and be done IMO

14 bolt would need to be narrowed, new shafts, shaved, and new wheels.
8.8 They can be had with 4.10s and disc brakes for $100-$200 around here. Width is close enough and you would need new wheels.

scrambled said:
14 bolt would need to be narrowed, new shafts, shaved, and new wheels.
8.8 They can be had with 4.10s and disc brakes for $100-$200 around here. Width is close enough and you would need new wheels.

Cab chassis 14b is 63" wide.

By shaved, I meant just getting a 13bolt cover from Barnes or undercover fab. Not a full ring gear shave.

Hubs can be converted to 6lug.

But yeah. Disc brake explorer 8.8s are cheap.. I haven't seen one with stock 4.10 gears though.ever. always 3.55 or 3.73.

Another option would be getting a dirt cheap rear Dana 60 30 spline, and welding the ends of a Toyota housing on it to run Toyota shafts/brakes/etc...

Re: Re: Ford 8.8 strength?

rednecklights said:
I'd question why the yota rear keeps giving way.

wat locker? welded? spool? WHO set it up ?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I'd bet a $100 the housing is tweaked. I have seen it happen to a couple of yota axles. Once they start breaking it seems they break more and more often

I had an old built sammmy in my old shop years ago that had yota axles under it, the housings under it were bent so bad that one person couldn't push it at all on flat concrete

TBItoy said:
Cab chassis 14b is 63" wide.

By shaved, I meant just getting a 13bolt cover from Barnes or undercover fab. Not a full ring gear shave.

Hubs can be converted to 6lug.

But yeah. Disc brake explorer 8.8s are cheap.. I haven't seen one with stock 4.10 gears though.ever. always 3.55 or 3.73.

Another option would be getting a dirt cheap rear Dana 60 30 spline, and welding the ends of a Toyota housing on it to run Toyota shafts/brakes/etc...

Didnt know there was a 63" 14. Gonna have to keep my eyes open

Re: Ford 8.8 strength?

Aren't there some narrow 6 lug 14 bolts from under vans or are they too wide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk