• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 9" housing studs

What is your preferred Ford 9" housing stud method?

• Double-ended stud, loc-tite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bolt from inside, welded head

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Nut welded inside, bolt from outside

• Other

• Total voters

patooyee

I bent a stud, need a new one, finding it difficult to procure. It is a double-ended 3/8-24 stud, never seen one like it before. Before I spend any more time trying to find it I'm seeing if there is a better method that I should go to instead. leaning toward a nut welded inside so that there is no threaded stud sticking up outside for rocks to get.

I didn't see any with 3/8-24 on both sides but I did find these adapter studs which you could use a course thread nut on. Not sure if they're long enough though.

The link wants to redirect to a main page but these are what I'm talking about.

I spoke with Thom from spidertrax just this week about the studs JJ. He was out of stock, but gave me the ARP part number, but it's in the shop. I'll post it tomorrow.

He also went as far to say, in racing, that studs and hex bolts don't have enough holding power on the third. The ARP kit is, I believe, a 12pt grade 8 that threads in from inside the housing. Must builders put a small tack on the head inside the housing once installed.

Btw, on the used housings I just bought, all 20 studs are loose in the threads, I will be doing the ARP kit at time of final assembly.
Matt

I have grade eight bolts on mine. From the inside out. I just adjusted the head of the bolt to clear where needed. I pulled studs out of the housing.