• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford Dana 44 tech - compatibility?

Speeding

Forum member #1
Hardline Crawler
I have what I believe is a '76 "HD" Dana 44 out of a Ford F250. It's 8-lug, low pinion, DS drop, open knuckle and has very unusual lockouts that attach with 4" long 1/2" bolts. DS knuckle is flat top which I'm sure most were. Turns out the stub shaft is 10.66" where as the usual common 44 stub is about 9.5" I believe. I'm considering swapping all the outters to accept this more common axle to save future expense and problems trying to find replacement shafts. I broke a stub in January and have not found a local stock replacement shaft yet.

Is it possible to swap just the spindles, hubs, stub, and lockouts from a more common '78-'79 3/4ton 44? Any lockouts out there that work with this axle to accept the common length stub? I'd swap the whole axle but I already have a nice truss and brackets.

Google image pic of the lockout:
Dana44HDF250hubtape.jpg

if i remember correctly from my d44 days yes you can swap everything from the knuckle out.. there is a difference in the bearings and bearing spacing from the 5/6 lug 44 stuff and the 8 lug 44 so be mindful swapping different spindles and hubs..

i was swapping stuff around and ran into a problem trying to fit the big ford calipers in side a 15" wheel and had to get spacers to make it work blah blah blah...