• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford trans temp question

Digger 5

Has anyone actually seen a temperature difference after installing a Mag-Tech or similar transmission oil pan on a 2000+ Superduty/Excursion?
Any experience here?

I have a cooler, temp is fine, nothing is wrong. I'm just looking for ACTUAL data showing if there is or isn't a difference in trans temperature after using a Mag-Tech like pan.

About the only advantage to running a deeper pan like a Mag-Tech is the added capacity. \But once all the fluid is hot, it doesn't matter how big your pan is. I added an additional tranny cooler to the front of the truck on the return line (rear line on the tranny) and this year the trans never got above 150

In the beginning of July, headed over the pass to Naches---loaded with the camper/sami/tote of Ice...trans temps were running higher than I have ever seen (205-210*) in past trips..... before the trip to Sand Lake, Oregon the end of August-I flushed my trans & chnged the filter; On the trip to Oregon I noticed the trans never got over 180*!!! And yes, I have a deep sump Aluminum pan...I think they help, due to the added capacity (as stated earlier), but the key to long trans life, and proper performance is regular maintenance IMHO...

In the beginning of July, headed over the pass to Naches---loaded with the camper/sami/tote of Ice...trans temps were running higher than I have ever seen (205-210*) in past trips..... before the trip to Sand Lake, Oregon the end of August-I flushed my trans & chnged the filter; On the trip to Oregon I noticed the trans never got over 180*!!! And yes, I have a deep sump Aluminum pan...I think they help, due to the added capacity (as stated earlier), but the key to long trans life, and proper performance is regular maintenance IMHO...

Did you have the deep sump on when temps hit 205-210?

Did you have the deep sump on when temps hit 205-210?

Yup, pan's been on there since I bought the truck (PO/coworker installed pan several years ago! <---4qt added capacity!:cool:) I did ALOT of research, and made several calls to local trans builders, and what I came up with is 210* is nothing to be worried about; But I kept coming back to the fact it hasn't reached this temp before, so I did the service/flush----glad I did!!!! I do also realize my rig has 135K on it, and the trans hasn't been rblt, so I wanted to try and make it live as long as possible by keeping the temps down if I could! Again, I am glad I tried the flush/service---seems to have paid off in my case!!!:awesomework:

So the deep pan was on for 180 degree temps and 205 temps. The flush made a difference. So we still have no data on if the pan itself lowers temp.
Thanks zukkev- still good info.:beer:

Basically Jeepasaurus answered it...Once the fluid gets to temp, it doesn't matter....I am speculating, but it would be reasonable to assume that with a deep sump pan it would take longer to get to operating temp...Also, I might add again, these readings I am seeing is loaded...When empty, the average temp I see is about 160-170....I cannot say whether or not a stock pan would cause an increase in temp, but I would say a deep sump aluminum pan would dissipate heat better/faster than a stock pan...:awesomework:

I think that a deep finned pan should dissipate some heat too but the question is...how much?

It's going to vary from trans to trans, the added capacity for slowing the heat building, the current state of the trans (is it currently tight and not giving you any issues, or is it due for attention...There are just too many variables to accurately answer this question of exactly how much the temp drops by adding a deep sump... IMHO... It can't hurt to do it, and there are potential gains in trans life by doing it...I say go for it!:awesomework:

Last edited:
Deep pan will help with foaming and reduce temps that way, very little reduction in temp from the extra capacity. Should help the fluid last longer though.

i put that pan on my powerjoke....maybe 10 or 20 drop in temp at best.a cooler from a v10 will bolt in and so far thats made the most diff.....

FWIW- The well known PSD trans builders with an "I dare you to break it" warranty use stock pans for the most part. Reasoning is the sheet metal pans and less fluid will cool down faster after getting hot. But if your trans is in good shape and properly cooled then it shouldn't be getting too hot in the first place.