• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fords PSD vs Dodes Cummins..

What makes power is people spending insane amounts of money on parts to prove there truck is stronger. There are a ton of PS guys blowing money to run at dyno comps and very seldom are they winning if there are any 5.9's around. In my opinion the HPOP is a piss poor design regardless if it's a IH or a Cat engine.:cool:

People spending insane amounts of money is why there are aftermarket parts available to do the things they do. "Everyone" likes the Cummins so that's where the money is spent. The tech progresses based on the money spent and so on...The dyno fags seem to want to make more power based on raising torque numbers whch is the hard way to do it. Raising the RPMs would be the better way of going about it. The Cummins is known for it's rotating mass which ironically keep the RPMs down. Lighten the rotating mass and raise the RPMs makes more power.......You know, more like a PS!
The simple fact that the PS has more cubic inches and can (potentially) spin faster makes it have more potential for power. If nobody pushes the tech in the right direction we will never know.....
The high pressure oil injection system is a excellent system designed to do away with those unreliable injection pumps that keep the Cummins' in the shop constantly.:;

I know you want me out of your thread, but I don't give a ****.. You obviously know how to make the powerstroke work. So go do it or STFU.. You are stuck on "dyno fags".. Go to the track, See who is the fastest. And don't think for a second that the best powerstroke builders in the country haven't tried, and yet still come up short. I would absolutely love to see you PROVE that potential, since no one but you can.

:corn:

I don't want you out of my thread but I would love to see you back up any of the crap you write with some factual information not based on someone elses opinion.:;
I'm not about to spend the money to be a dyno fag just to impress you or anyone else.

...Now I'm going to go WAY out on a limb and say based on several factors that the PS 7.3 has more POTENTIAL for power after modifications than the Cummins 5.9. ...
Which factors?

I mean besides the fact the 7.3 is larger than the 5.9 by 1.4 liters or 85 CID?

I don't want you out of my thread but I would love to see you back up any of the crap you write with some factual information not based on someone elses opinion.:;
I'm not about to spend the money to be a dyno fag just to impress you or anyone else.

the only way you can truly believe any of this bullshit you post is to be completely ignorant about the diesel world. I know that all you care about is wheeling and couldn't care less about diesels.. But you might as well be a Banks lover instead of the Devils bitch with this crap you spew.. fawkin engineers.....

fawkin engineers.....

I'm not a engineer, I'm just a guy who thinks for himself. As opposed to people like you who aren't capable of thinking for yourself. They have a name for people like you....Sheeeeeeeeple.:haha:

Post up a original thought here Jeff and I'll delete this post.....Anything....You can do it!:cheer:

I'm not a engineer, I'm just a guy who thinks for himself. As opposed to people like you who aren't capable of thinking for yourself. They have a name for people like you....Sheeeeeeeeple.:haha:

Post up a original thought here Jeff and I'll delete this post.....Anything....You can do it!:cheer:

Have you learned ANYTHING from wheeling for years and being around other wheelers... what works, what doesn't? If you say no then I will stop posting.

granted these motors are not in pickups but in street sweepers but at work we run 7.3s, 12 valves, and detroits. these motors get abused like you wouldn't belive. imagine power braking a 30,000 pound rig for months on end straight with a pickup motor. thats exactly what there used for. we use them for asphalt grindings 6 months out of the year and they run 24 hours a day and we only get about 100,000 miles out of em no matter what brand, but big supprise. but last summer they pulled a head off which i dont remember why as it ran great on a 12 valve and 3 pistons were melted, one was cracked and the head was cracked and it still ran great.

as far as witch one i like the best, im partial towars the cummins as my 92 ran great at 222k and my 97 i just picked up runs great at 236k but ive never owned a ford so im alittle partial.

granted these motors are not in pickups but in street sweepers but at work we run 7.3s, 12 valves, and detroits. these motors get abused like you wouldn't belive. imagine power braking a 30,000 pound rig for months on end straight with a pickup motor. thats exactly what there used for. we use them for asphalt grindings 6 months out of the year and they run 24 hours a day and we only get about 100,000 miles out of em no matter what brand, but big supprise. but last summer they pulled a head off which i dont remember why as it ran great on a 12 valve and 3 pistons were melted, one was cracked and the head was cracked and it still ran great.

as far as witch one i like the best, im partial towars the cummins as my 92 ran great at 222k and my 97 i just picked up runs great at 236k but ive never owned a ford so im alittle partial.

clean out your PM box would ya :redneck:

may have been said, and i will say it again....but old school is the way to go......pure combustion goodness.old 12 valve FTMFW....

you guys can talk about power all you want, and most of you know more than myself about said power.but if the **** hits the fan, as long as my starter works, i'll be rollin...........

my pump was rebuilt before i got my truck,and barely turned up, no mods besides a BHF really, but still pulls like a mother ****er.the fords i drove of that era when i was looking for a truck all had piston slap, and were on there way out.even the one that was rebuilt right before i looked at it!

i hate the ride of my truck, but would not trade the simplicity of my 12 valve for nothing......cheers, brian

That's the whole point of this thread. You define better and tell us what you think is better about one or the other?

Um no. Torque does nothing for helping you tow. In a nutshell the RPM where your engine makes peak torque is the RPM where it's under the most stress. In reality making more horse power with less torque alows you to use lighter/ not as strong components.
The whole torque vs horse power topic gets deep and could be a thread of it's own.

The quickest definition of tq vs hp ive ever heard is. Torque gets you moving. Horse power keeps you moving and accelerating

The holdup on the 7.3 is it's injection system....It can't get the fuel out fast enough. There have been improvements as a few guys are into the 7-800 HP range but you have to spend a $hit ton of money to get there and who knows if the block will hold up and for how long...

The 6.0 PSD is currently the HP king of the PSD's but as everyone know has had it's share of growing pains... the 6.4 has come a long way in a short time... Time will only tell as far as it's durability.

In the mean time I still think its safe to say that "While the cummins has its own shortcomings, when it comes to making power and staying together for longer than a PSD...it does....

There is a lot of pages throughout this so I won't read them all...but
I run an old 12 valve with some goods under the hood, probably about 450hp truck that can get 19-21 empty if you drive it nice.
p7100 pump is bulletproof, less valves=less stuff to go wrong.
It leaks oil, but I figure it is just "sweating horsepower"

There is something to said about the fords/ih 7.3
good engine, decent milage, just bring an extra crank sensor and stay in the slow lane up the pass!!:D

This is the thread that asks "why the Cummins".

For me, it was because after doing tons of research, I came to the conclusion that the Cummins 6BTA with the Bosch P7100 is unmatched by any other engine ever put into a light truck for overall reliability, durability, and survivability. It is able to operate with any electrical power and is more tolerant of alternative fuels and require less pre-heating than comparable diesel engines from GM and Ford. That it's output can be turned up so monstrously just speaks to how over-engineered and over-built the basic design is.

300HP is 300HP. They will tow equal everything else being equal, gear ratio, weight, etc....

Not in my direct experience. My 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 215hp Cummins 5.9 diesel and 4.10 axle gears tows/pulls/hauls far better than did my 1994 GMC K2500 with a 230hp 7.4l gas V8 and 4.10 axle gears.

People spending insane amounts of money is why there are aftermarket parts available to do the things they do. "Everyone" likes the Cummins so that's where the money is spent. The tech progresses based on the money spent and so on...The dyno fags seem to want to make more power based on raising torque numbers whch is the hard way to do it. Raising the RPMs would be the better way of going about it. The Cummins is known for it's rotating mass which ironically keep the RPMs down. Lighten the rotating mass and raise the RPMs makes more power.......You know, more like a PS!
The simple fact that the PS has more cubic inches and can (potentially) spin faster makes it have more potential for power. If nobody pushes the tech in the right direction we will never know.....
The high pressure oil injection system is a excellent system designed to do away with those unreliable injection pumps that keep the Cummins' in the shop constantly.:;

Baloney. You just got done telling us that there are at least twice as many PSD trucks out there as there are Cummins powered ones. Which means that there is twice as big an aftermarket audience for the PSDs. Fact of the matter is, there has been "insane" amounts of money spent on PSDs to get more power out of them and the limits were quickly realized. The Cummins doesn't have the reputation it does because of slick marketing. Heck, if anything the Cummins has had more of an uphill battle than the PSD because it also had to overcome the reputation of the Dodges that it comes in.

And what is so unreliable about the Bosch VE, P7100, and CP3 injection pumps? Do you even know what you are talking about?

Baloney. You just got done telling us that there are at least twice as many PSD trucks out there as there are Cummins powered ones.
Just because there are more of them on the road doeasn't mean there is more aftermarket for them...

And what is so unreliable about the Bosch VE, P7100, and CP3 injection pumps? Do you even know what you are talking about?

Where did I say this? :rolleyes:
Take your HP argument to the other thread, that's why I started it.