• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fortune Creek, Van Epps Pass

YotaDude1997

Out of the salmon la sac area is a small network of FS 4 x 4 trails. You can drive all the way to Gallagher Head lake and camp. I'm putting together plans for a group to head out there in August. Anyone is welcome to join and is a moderate difficulty and fun trip.

More details to come…

If you were just coming up for the day, you would just drop the trailer at the end of the pavement and drive the gravel from there. An overnight stay would be harder, but still possible. You would still have to leave your trailer and truck unattended while we camped though. I wouldn't worry about it, just stating the facts. The trailer drop for an overnight stay could be at the beginning of the 4 x 4 trails.

I would say these trails are comparable to Liberty. Steep, fun, long.

If you were just coming up for the day, you would just drop the trailer at the end of the pavement and drive the gravel from there. An overnight stay would be harder, but still possible. You would still have to leave your trailer and truck unattended while we camped though. I wouldn't worry about it, just stating the facts. The trailer drop for an overnight stay could be at the beginning of the 4 x 4 trails.

Nice well I'm going to throw it on the calendar an see if I can make this work

That not how I would describe that area. Sure there are some offbranchs from trails that are steep and fun. But a mild built 4x can do everything there if the driver has any skill. The trail to Van Epps is one round rocky SOB. The Trail to Gallagher is very doable. There is an area above Gallagher that is tougher. Camping over nite at Van Epps and Gallagher is something that is a must do.

Get ready and excited! Trip is in two weeks.

In case others weren't familiar with the area… There is an alpine lake up in the area, an open vertical mineshaft, other mining artifacts and debris as well as fantastic views and even access to some hiking trails.

We will run out of time before we run out of things to do. Don't miss this trip.:hi:

Hi all,

Just was up at Gallagher Head Lake 2 - 3 weeks ago. Great, mild 4x4 trail, definitely doable in a stockish 4wd rig with a good driver. Pretty countryside, a great overnight trip.

Regards,

Alan

Looks like August 16th and 17th are the days I have available for this.

Where about is this? Is this near your area? I would like to try to make it for this since I haven't gotten out in a while due to work. Let me know the details so I can make arrangements to go hopefully.

Salmon La Sac is exit 80 off I-90; a 50min drive from my house. Then 19 miles (40 minutes) up Salmon La Sac Road, a paved road. From there, we will be on gravel roads. Cle Elum Valley Rd, a.k.a. NF-4330. 7 miles and might take 20 minutes. Then we hit the trails! Fortune Creek trail, NF-621 that turns into 4W301.

Salmon La Sac is exit 80 off I-90; a 50min drive from my house. Then 19 miles (40 minutes) up Salmon La Sac Road, a paved road. From there, we will be on gravel roads. Cle Elum Valley Rd, a.k.a. NF-4330. 7 miles and might take 20 minutes. Then we hit the trails! Fortune Creek trail, NF-621 that turns into 4W301.

Note: If you are driving your wheelin' rig. Air down at Cayuse Horse camp (that's right before you turn up the gravel hill) makes the last few miles much more comfortable.

If you are towing a street legal vehicle follow the signs to the snow park and off-load there. Then follow the instructions posted above.

If you are towing an unlicensed vehicle. Sorry, enjoy the nasty next few miles of gravel.

Have fun but make efforts (Tread Lightly) in this area. Washington Trails Association (WTA) has renewed efforts to exclude motorized recreation from this area. As a side-note to the WTA actions the Motorized community need to put forth an extreme effort to combat the WTA efforts. We did this in 1996 and can be done again.

Hi all,

Murkman, could you please expand on this closure attempt by the WTA?

Thanks,

Alan

<snip>
Have fun but make efforts (Tread Lightly) in this area. Washington Trails Association (WTA) has renewed efforts to exclude motorized recreation from this area. As a side-note to the WTA actions the Motorized community need to put forth an extreme effort to combat the WTA efforts. We did this in 1996 and can be done again.

Hi all,

Murkman, could you please expand on this closure attempt by the WTA?

Thanks,

Alan

Many years ago (96' or so) there was a proposal generated by the Anti-motorized community to close the Fortune Creek area to motorized. Much of the land up there was acquired by the Forest Service from Plum Creek. The FS had three proposals. (1) was to close the area to all motorized. (2) Was to leave a 100' wide corridor adjacent to the existing trails with not motorized out of that zone.(3) No action.

There were public meetings in the Cle Elum, Wenatchee, North Bend area to allow public opinion about this. There were also other proposals but these areas had no motorized interest. Thru the PNW4WDA there was a letter writing campaign to express interest in seeing that the no action proposal in the Fortune Creek area was to be the decision. The decision in the Fortune Creek area came to be No action because mankinds intrusion was to great the be considered Wilderness.

Well many years have past. There has been new Wilderness established that has much intrusion by mankind. Wild Sky was pushed thru with support from Murray, Larson, Smith and Cantwell. WTA has seen this and was a big part of Wild Sky. Now WTA has expressed interest in taking up the effort again with Fortune Creek. Mankinds intrusion has not the meaning it has had in the past.

Fortune Creek, Van Epps Pass, Gallagher Head Lake area are all at risk. As well as Lake Ann if you are a snowmobiler. These areas were listed on an inclusion list I think 2 years ago. As the Forest Plan and Travel Plan come up You can expect to see some changes coming. Public Comment will be asked for and this community needs to be proactive to such request.

I'll do a search thru the FS site and find the link to post about this proposal.

I hope people are listening Merrick the areas at risk and we will need to fight to keep it open.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/landmanagement/planning/?cid=stelprdb5312516

Good place to start. This proposal is/has been due for years. The FS is working towards this. With it will come the Travel Management Plan (TMP).

It is difficult to find/follow anything on the FS website. Part because there is so much going on. This is a complicated task they are tasked with. Use the SOPA (Schedule of Proposed Actions). Also note the link is Proposed Actions/ Planning.

Just spend time browsing the site. It will make you more proficient finding items of interest.

Pokey mentions "Hope people are listening", well if this concerns you please contact, Pokey. We need some help with these matters.