• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

forward shift to top shift conversion

nevada

*this is for a dual toyota t-case set-up.*
i know the shop is a mess, i dont give a ****. so dont say anything:fawkdancesmiley:

OK, since i had 2 extra forward **** cases, i decided i HAD to make them work for my marlin crawler. i know this isnt NEW. and using a forward **** case for the RANGE box has been done. but i needed it to work for the rear 4WD case.(id heard it couldnt be done:looser: )

im not going to go through the teardown. hopefully if you are attempting this conversion, you already know how do tear it down.
*im going to refer to the 4L-4H rail as LEFT*
*the 2WD-4H as RIGHT*
1)get the SPARE shift fork from the DONOR case. and cut the lug off, using a die grinder. be sure not to cut it too close.
forwardshiftforksmodify.jpg

2) install the rails into the RANGE portion of the rear case. after the rails are in, put the shift detents back in place. this will help insure correct placement. and carefully measure for the roll pin. its VERY important to get it right. measure 5X cut once. leave the LEFT rail in 4wd(toward the front) and shift the RIGHT rail into 4wd also.(to the front.) mark where the new hole has to be, for the LUG on the right rail. i tried to match the lug(NOT THE HOLE) to the other fork as best i could.
do NOT attempt to drill the rail. it is hardened steel, and you will never get it. even if you could, i doubt it would be straight. i took mine to a local machine shop(Machine Service inc.)
modifiedforwardshiftrails.jpg

3) grab theends u cut off, and remove the gates. set them aside, for now.
gatesfromf-shiftrails.jpg

**note** this pic is out of sequence. when removing the gates, be sure to remove the entire portion off the 2WD gate. this prevent the shifter from falling into "space" when in 4L. i had to go back, and add this piece.
collinsfirstruninjeepjan3rd012-1.jpg

4) attach lug to the right rail, and the fork to the left rail, and the you need to clearance the INSIDE edge of each lug. you need a "flat" section to attach the gates to. since the lugs are angled, it wont be square. i ground them down close, and just clamped to the THICKER side. and filled in the small gap.
lugflattendforgates.jpg

5) once you're certain you know where theyre going. carefully weld the gate onto the lugs. use the SHORT gate on the LEFT(with FORK) rail. and the LONG gate on the RIGHT rail. *see my note above.*
gatesweldedtothelugs.jpg

theres alot of test fitting. i dont remember when i did it. but at some point, after u instal the gates, you need to reinstall the main shaft, and most of the gears, and 2WD shift fork, and slide the outer portion of the t-case in place. be sure everything shifts good. then measure where to cut the STICK OUT, from the rails. they can only stick out about 1/4" when shifted into 4H. otherwise they will hit the 4L rail in the range box.
this pic also thems them after they were shortened.
gatesweldedtothelugs.jpg

6)put everything together for another test fit. you now need your gates to line up. if they dont, but are close, you can use a file to get them exact. mine were dead on, and no adjustments were needed. again, note the lug i added after the fact.
collinsfirstruninjeepjan3rd012-1.jpg

one thing i want to mention, as it messed with me a few times. when these rails are out, they can be put in 180* out of phase. it will work properly, but your shift detents will not work correctly. be sure on the final install, that the SINGLE detent notch is to the INSIDE.
make sure everything shifts correctly and smoothly. i used a bit of 90w to ease the install.
and finally, a forward shift tcase, converted to a top shift, ready to be installed.
collinsfirstruninjeepjan3rd013-1.jpg

hopefully this will help others who dont have a top shift case, but want a dual case set-up.

Last edited:
Wow nice ingenuity.......but can't you get a top shift case for $50-100 normally?

Yup but if you already have forward shift cases why buy another one? You can buy the conversion kit from a few vendors but I think last I saw it was over $100 for the kit and shifter..

Oh Nevada the pump and bracket are in your 'hood. :D

Very nice. These are the things I am looking for...:awesomework:
thanks.
theres no reason for ALL the good tech stuff to be on Pirate....

what did you use for a shifter?
got a top shift, from a hoss250 on here.

Yup but if you already have forward shift cases why buy another one? You can buy the conversion kit from a few vendors but I think last I saw it was over $100 for the kit and shifter..

Oh Nevada the pump and bracket are in your 'hood. :D
thanks. he Pm'd the other day:awesomework:

like said above, why buy yet ANOTHER t-case, when i had 2 sitting here.

also, the top shift arent as easy to come by, as the forward shift are....since EVERYONE wants them for duals.

i actually DO have a top shift case. but a few years ago i traded(ive still got it tho) it to a buddy for the windshield thats in my truck now. so i couldnt use it

when asked about shifter
got a top shift, from a hoss250 on here.

why didnt you get the whole topshift case form hoss? He had tp cannibilize a complete case for you to get a shifter? Why didint youget the fork and shift rail from him too?

I still think this is a waste of time. I have a bunch of FS cases and without a bunch of topshift shifters they are worthless.

So it still took a topshift case to make this happen. Nice job, just seems like alot of work to me.:beer:

when asked about shifter

why didnt you get the whole topshift case form hoss? He had tp cannibilize a complete case for you to get a shifter? Why didint youget the fork and shift rail from him too?

I still think this is a waste of time. I have a bunch of FS cases and without a bunch of topshift shifters they are worthless.

So it still took a topshift case to make this happen. Nice job, just seems like alot of work to me.:beer:
he bought the WRONG shifter. he needed a forward shift, and bought a top shift, so HE had no use for it.

FYI, i bought both these cases for less than $50.

topshift shifters can be gotten seperately still...so you dont necessarily have to part out a top case......

im sorry you think its a waste. it worked out PERFECTLY for me. and thats the ONLY thing that matters.

he bought the WRONG shifter. he needed a forward shift, and bought a top shift, so HE had no use for it.

FYI, i bought both these cases for less than $50.

topshift shifters can be gotten seperately still...so you dont necessarily have to part out a top case......

im sorry you think its a waste. it worked out PERFECTLY for me. and thats the ONLY thing that matters.

With the deal you two had, yes it worked out sweet.

But for someone needing a topshift case, looking for a shifter is kinda tough:beer: