• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fox 2.0 coilover air shocks

TacomaJD said:
Got any quick links to the parts needed to do this?

Nah I just looked on Poly Performance, they have all the components of each type of shock http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/2.0-Coilover-Air-Shock-p-1-c-3794.html

The only part I'm skeptical of on the parts list is the lower eyelet.

Coilovers vs Air shocks used different lower eyelets, and I believe poly has the wrong ones listed for the "2.0 Coilover Airshock".

Since they use an air shock shaft, they would have to use an air shock lower eyelet.

The lower spring retainer may nest on the air shock eyelet just fine, but I'm not 100% sure what parts they use as I've never seen one in person.

TBItoy said:
Nah I just looked on Poly Performance, they have all the components of each type of shock http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/2.0-Coilover-Air-Shock-p-1-c-3794.html

The only part I'm skeptical of on the parts list is the lower eyelet.

Coilovers vs Air shocks used different lower eyelets, and I believe poly has the wrong ones listed for the "2.0 Coilover Airshock".

Since they use an air shock shaft, they would have to use an air shock lower eyelet.

The lower spring retainer may nest on the air shock eyelet just fine, but I'm not 100% sure what parts they use as I've never seen one in person.

Been reading into this. How exactly do you determine what length coil springs to buy (upper/lower) My 16" air shocks are 39.6" fully extended and 23.6" collapsed. Was just looking at things I'd have to buy and realized that I'm not sure exactly how to gauge what length coil springs are needed. Yea, another newbie question.....bc I'm good at being a newb lol.

TacomaJD said:
Been reading into this. How exactly do you determine what length coil springs to buy (upper/lower) My 16" air shocks are 39.6" fully extended and 23.6" collapsed. Was just looking at things I'd have to buy and realized that I'm not sure exactly how to gauge what length coil springs are needed. Yea, another newbie question.....bc I'm good at being a newb lol.

rule of thumb is lower spring 2 inches longer than shock travel (so the dual rate slider doesn't fall off the shock body at full droop), then upper spring equal to shock travel (so you have a spring stack that is a length that falls into the threaded pre-load adjustment range)

Re: Re: Re: Fox 2.0 coilover air shocks

TBItoy said:
rule of thumb is lower spring 2 inches longer than shock travel (so the dual rate slider doesn't fall off the shock body at full droop), then upper spring equal to shock travel (so you have a spring stack that is a length that falls into the threaded pre-load adjustment range)

Excellent info. Much appreciated. Damn newbie **** is always the hardest info to find without asking lol

Neal3000 said:
Plus machine work

That $100 estimate included new threaded shock bodies, but didn't include lower eyelets. (I also assumed you could get the parts for 10% less than Poly Performance, as they are kinda high on stuff)

I don't think you need a lower eyelet. You will need the lower spring seat, which is a separate piece. The seat may be different than the 7/8 shaft seat, because of the bigger shaft.

tiny said:
I don't think you need a lower eyelet. You will need the lower spring seat, which is a separate piece. The seat may be different than the 7/8 shaft seat, because of the bigger shaft.

It looks like the seat just nests on the top of the eyelet, it has a big ID

TBItoy said:
That $100 estimate included new threaded shock bodies, but didn't include lower eyelets. (I also assumed you could get the parts for 10% less than Poly Performance, as they are kinda high on stuff)

If you go through poly's vendor on pirate you can get WAY better prices on fox stuff with free shipping than what their website shows

It seems like it would be easier and maybe about the same money to just sell your airshocks and buy some used coilovers

Neal3000 said:
If you go through poly's vendor on pirate you can get WAY better prices on fox stuff with free shipping than what their website shows

It seems like it would be easier and maybe about the same money to just sell your airshocks and buy some used coilovers

That's about what I figured after looking into it last night. Also got to looking at my rig and the top mounting bracket will likely have to be moved more toward the center of the truck also. The 2.0 body on both shocks barely rub the frame at full tuck. So anything bigger, probably even a 2.5 air shock, would most likely require modification.

IMG_20130513_245100_689_zps06cefb90.jpg

Most of your body roll problem is the way your shocks are mounted. They are angled in too much. If you mounted them strait up and down and tuned them, you proly would need the coils.

tiny said:
Most of your body roll problem is the way your shocks are mounted. They are angled in too much. If you mounted them strait up and down and tuned them, you proly would need the coils.

Damn, hadn't considered that. Always something else that could be wrong affecting my body roll haha. I've heard everything from needs coilovers, just put a anti-rock bar on it, 4 link geometry is off, shocks need revalved, and now this. I give up lol

I told you that the first time we rode jackass.... then i pointed out that the rear frame section would have to be cut to clear them straighter... :gtfo: :flipoff1:

Rokcrler said:
I told you that the first time we rode jackass.... then i pointed out that the rear frame section would have to be cut to clear them straighter... :gtfo: :flipoff1:

I've so many theories I can't keep track lol sorry. I wish this **** was more cut and dry....I hate trial and error. I lack patience lol.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
NEEDS MORE TRIANGULATION!

actually your shocks need LESS triangulation

If it was my truck, I'd probably sell the air shocks, put regular coil springs between the frame and axle, and get a set of regular shocks and mount them straight up and down, as close to the coil spring as possible.

pachary said:
You can run a very small amount of N2 pressure, tune like a normal coil over, then add N2 as needed.

If you put substantial N2 pressure, the "air spring rate" rises very quickly as shock compresses.

All N2 does is raise/lower ride height. You tune the "progressiveness" by adding/subtracting oil.

All other aspects of tuning are the same as coilovers using spring choice, crossover setting and shims.

zebrajeep said:
All N2 does is raise/lower ride height. You tune the "progressiveness" by adding/subtracting oil.

All other aspects of tuning are the same as coilovers using spring choice, crossover setting and shims.

Correct, fom what I've read.

So you are saying that compressing a "gas" in a fixed volume cylinder does not increase rate?

Remember, although the piston is letting fluid past as the shock compresses, the shaft (and it is big on these shocks) is ALSO displacing fluid which compresses the "gas". As the gas compresses, the "rate" rises.

Bump stops have the same setup, at least mine do, minus the spring. As the airbump compresses rate increases.

I know for a fact if my ride is too soft, adding N2 will stiffen it up.

Latest posts