• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fox 2.0 coilover air shocks

I am running the TK1 version on my buggy. While I can't recommend the ones I have due to FOA type issues, I wouldn't hesitate to run the FOX version.

What's the purpose of these? I wondered a few years back about threading the body of an air shocks and maken a set thinkin the springs would resolve body roll but I don't really know ? Can someone explain the functional logic or purpose of having two load carrying methods in one shock ? If they work and are based off a basic 2.0 air shock, it would be a great option for People who already have air shocks to upgraded to coilovers by just simply machineing the body of their existing shock or buying new body's and swapping internals over, I've replaced seals in them before and they are super simple to work on

My understanding is that the "air shock" portion acts as a progressive additional spring rate.

The coils support the weight and give dual rate.

The valving is just like any other compression/rebound dampening.

It was explained to me as another dimension of adjustability.

I know just enough to screw things up.

Neal3000 said:
I've never seen the point of these

With the proper oil level and nitro charge, it could/would act like an emulsion coilover and airbump in a single package.

most of the bad characteristics of air shocks come from using them at near capacity,

seems like it might be a pain in the ass to tune.

I could be completely wrong, but seems like I you went with soft springs, and tuned with nitrogen , you your adjustability would be alot easier from day to day if you wanted to change settings instead of springs , granted many people don't change springs once they have what works best for them, and like previously stated , you could have air bump/ shock and coilover in one package?

You can run a very small amount of N2 pressure, tune like a normal coil over, then add N2 as needed.

If you put substantial N2 pressure, the "air spring rate" rises very quickly as shock compresses.

I guess that is similar to what TBI said.

I've been running them for two years, and love them. They are more difficult to tune, if you have never tuned air shocks and coil overs. If you understand both, then it ain't so bad. The only drawback is that it is an emulsion shock.

I just talked to Ben from foxs tech line, he told
Me that these shocks have been out for years ( I didn't know) but they are tricky to tune and the air is used as a
3rd spring or dimension to tune them, the part number on the 2.0 shaft, shims and seals are all the same and he said you can thread the smooth body of a 2.0 add coils and have the same shock , maybe cheap alternative for people with 2.0 airs already, you can also buy a threaded body from several of their vendors , the thing that I kind of like about this whole idea is this ... Though fox and king claim it's bad for their shock, we have ran alot more oil in them creating a hydraulic bump in the bottom of shock for years, never hardly had any seal or shock problems doing it, so you could make a triple
Rate coilover with its own bump all in one unit, might be pretty nice setup for a trail rig... Seems like alot of fine tuning for high performance applications and most senseless if you don't already have 2.0 air shocks to modifie, I would just buy regular coilovers if you were starting from
Scratch and fox said they arnt pushing these anymore but do still sell them

TacomaJD said:
Looks like you got them bitches tuned in!

Now this might be a more cost efficient solution to my body roll problem!! Thanks for starting this thread, I wasn't aware that Fox offered the componentry to convert standard 2.0's into coilovers.

I looked up parts to do the conversion, looks like about $100 per shock (plus springs)