• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front and rear weighting

ROKRIG

425KRAWLERZ
Just curious if anyone has figured out a fairly consistent weight ratio for the front and rear axles. I've currently got the ProLine weighted wheels in the front and no weight other than a lipo battery pack on the rear axle.

Any suggestions for ratios?

Just curious if anyone has figured out a fairly consistent weight ratio for the front and rear axles. I've currently got the ProLine weighted wheels in the front and no weight other than a lipo battery pack on the rear axle.

Any suggestions for ratios?

Here is one of the aspects of this sport that is not cut/dry and varies not only from rig to rig but driver to driver.

My best advise terry is to try to hook up with somebody who has a nicely setup rig and run with them--then compare.

I used lead rope fishing weight. Wrap it around the top of the diff till you get the split right, then put it in the wheels/tires when the right combo is found.

It will bend and wrap right around axle parts to hang it on, no fab needed.

You should try to have your car as light as possible, but still be able to climb and descend the steep grades. I usually shoot for about a little over a 60% weight bias toward the front. A well balanced car is the key to a good handling car.
Basically if your fore to aft COG is about 1/4" to 3/8" from center forward to the front, you are in the ballpark. Side to side should be 50/50.

Not true.. But you run a 1.9 where weight is badly needed but you can easily overdo it.
That's why his can't hold a line. Weight plays a huge factor in all abilitys of a crawler.....too much or too little in front or rear can make your rig work with( key word) your driving style. If you are throttle happy more in front will benefit, if ya crawl, balanced f&r works better.

So there you go Terry.....it's either keep it light as possible, bias the weight forward or make it a heavy sumabitch. That should clear things up.......:haha:

Clear as day

I'm playin with the weight bias currently. I arranged some rocks in my backyard; an area I may dub The 'Alderwood' Mall. Broke my front driveshaft just today getting all bound up in one of the more 'technical' sections. :;

This little hobby is a lot of fun

Not true.. But you run a 1.9 where weight is badly needed but you can easily overdo it.

X2:awesomework:

Too much weight is hard on parts. I have gone through tranny gears, lockers, and a servo, cause of my heavy MRC. There is a fine line, and it is sometimes hard to find the line without going over. I have almost nothing stock in my drivetrain anymore, cause it cant hold up to my weight and power.

My .02 :beer: